Duck with swollen face - resistant sinus infection?

crcgirl93

Chirping
Mar 11, 2014
Hello,

I hope I'm posting in the right place. I purchased several Khaki ducks at an auction last week and one has a very large swollen mass in his cheek. He came this way - I noticed it after we got them home. The mass is firm but not hard. If I press, nothing comes out. I have been treating him with .5 ml of Tylan 200 orally for the past 4 days. The swelling or mass has not decreased in size and I'm very concerned. I've never had to use Tylan more than 3 days - normally respiratory issues respond very quickly. He does wheeze a bit when he breathes. I don't see any nasal or eye discharge. No growths or foreign bodies in his mouth or throat that I can see.

The ducks have a kiddie pool that gets changed every other day and large water pans (deep enough for them to submerge their heads in and even sit in if they choose) they get changed out once sometimes twice daily. They are free range during the day and sleep in a very well ventilated coop with straw bedding.

I have three vets in my area and have taken chickens to each one with disappointing results. They just prescribe Baytril and tell me to hope for the best. I've also just payed for a very expensive surgery for my dog.....so if I can I'd like to avoid another vet visit.

Any suggestions on what to do for this Duck if he doesn't respond to the Tylan? I'm also not even sure how long I should use it. Any herbal or natural therapies that may work? These are my first ducks so I'm new to this.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello,

I hope I'm posting in the right place. I purchased several Khaki ducks at an auction last week and one has a very large swollen mass in his cheek. He came this way - I noticed it after we got them home. The mass is firm but not hard. If I press, nothing comes out. I have been treating him with .5 ml of Tylan 200 orally for the past 4 days. The swelling or mass has not decreased in size and I'm very concerned. I've never had to use Tylan more than 3 days - normally respiratory issues respond very quickly. He does wheeze a bit when he breathes. I don't see any nasal or eye discharge. No growths or foreign bodies in his mouth or throat that I can see.

The ducks have a kiddie pool that gets changed every other day and large water pans (deep enough for them to submerge their heads in and even sit in if they choose) they get changed out once sometimes twice daily. They are free range during the day and sleep in a very well ventilated coop with straw bedding.

I have three vets in my area and have taken chickens to each one with disappointing results. They just prescribe Baytril and tell me to hope for the best. I've also just payed for a very expensive surgery for my dog.....so if I can I'd like to avoid another vet visit.

Any suggestions on what to do for this Duck if he doesn't respond to the Tylan? Any herbal or natural therapies that may work? These are my first ducks so I'm new to this.

Thank you!
Sounds like you may want to start another antibiotic but honestly you might want to have a vet look at this mass they could aspirate it and look at it under a microscope.. then they could tell you exactly what it is and what needs to be done.

Lets see if @casportpony has some ideas on antibiotics or what this could be..

I think ideally, a good duck vet would be best - someone who would take a sample and run a sensitivity test so you'll know which antibiotic to use. And I can relate to the expenses...

So, one thought is to apply some antibiotic cream around the base of the bill in hopes it will soak in through the skin and get to the infection. Oregano is a mild antibiotic also and has been used in poultry operations to prevent infections.

Thanks for responses, I will do some reading about the Oregano and see what I can come up with. Does anyone know how long it is safe or even useful to use the Tylan? I checked him again this morning and the swelling has not decreased. It looks like we will be taking him into the vet after all. With the wheezing he's got to be in some distress.

I think you are making the right call. Duramycin may be one to consider - but see what the vet says - sometimes they can withdraw some of the fluid and learn something there - but a respiratory illness - that's something really rough on ducks.

Thanks for responses, I will do some reading about the Oregano and see what I can come up with. Does anyone know how long it is safe or even useful to use the Tylan? I checked him again this morning and the swelling has not decreased. It looks like we will be taking him into the vet after all. With the wheezing he's got to be in some distress.
Please up date when you can.

The info I have says 5 days on the Tylan powder.

Disclaimer - I have no medical training!

If it's a bacterial infection, the drug I would use is Baytril (enrofloxacin), which you *can* buy without a prescription. Here is a sensitivity from a peachick with a respiratory infection. Look for drugs with an "s", those are the drugs that the bacteria were sensitive to, and as I understand it, one should pick a drug that will treat both bacteria.

Picture

Here is a table I refer to when trying to pick an antibiotic:

-Kathy

Last edited:
Quote: The key in treating with Tylan for mycoplasma or enteritis is making sure they get enough of it each day, which can be tricky if they aren't drinking. The other option is to use injectable Tylan orally, which is what I would do if I ever used it again. The one time I used it by injection it caused a necrotic spot in the muscle. It finally healed, but left permanent damage.

-Kathy

Hello,

Any suggestions on what to do for this Duck if he doesn't respond to the Tylan? I'm also not even sure how long I should use it. Any herbal or natural therapies that may work? These are my first ducks so I'm new to this.

Thank you!
So I just re-read this...

The oral dose of Tylan 200 I would use is 0.125ml per pound twice a day.

If it's firm/hard, pretty good chance there's pus in there, and that could have to be removed.
Warning, graphic - http://connerhills.com/sinus_infection_removal.html

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom