Duck with swollen leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by duckylucky123, Aug 22, 2016.

1. duckylucky123

duckylucky123 New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    My duck Lucy has been limping a lot lately. She has always had a limp but it is getting worse. Her leg is very swollen and is a lot bigger than her other foot. It doesn't look like bumble foot. The joint is what's swollen. Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks!

2. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] One of my ducks just had this happen and we found out she had just bent/twisted her foot wrong. If there is no cut it is probably just sprained and will heal up by it's self.

3. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    If you have something for her to swim in for a while that would help.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Please join us over on the duck forum, https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

A swollen joint could be an infection or arthritis. A good duck vet is best, and also, you could try Epsom salt compresses followed by T-Relief ointment or something similar (just don't use ointment with painkiller).

A vet could prescribe something like metacam for reducing swelling and pain.

Time in a lukewarm tub, no soap, might also help by taking weight off the leg and improving circulation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by