Duck with turkey social habits :S

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fraoch21, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    i hatched an 2 indian runner ducklings last year (was a poor hatch) but one of them died and the other got so lonely it wouldnt be quiet so we got looking for a duckling we could get on loan from someone but we only ended up with a chick. So the duck grew up with the chick and when they were old enough to be let out the duck wouldnt leave the poor chick alone. The chick ended up a cockerel so we had to get rid of it so long story short the duck started following the turkeys. It seemed to think it was a turkey and joined in with the fights that went on between them. So we locked him up with a bali runner so he would 'become a duck'. It seemed to work cause he now hangs around with the ducks.....but hes kept his turkey social habits...He trys to beat up the saxony and white campbell drakes. Obviously cause hes a skinny runner hes the one that gets beaten up but no matter how hard they beat him he keeps fighting!! Im looking at him right now and the white campbell is wripping the feathers from him :( Hes got bloody bald patches on his neck and chunks of feathers missing. I think maybe the white campbell actually started the fight this time round but how do i break the habit!?? is it spreading to the other ducks, are they all going to start ripping feathers from each other?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you have all drakes? if not then what you are probably seeing is the drakes fighting for dominace for the females.
    Drakes will fight, and if you don't want him to be seriously injured I would separate him but keep him where he can still see the other ducks, then watch your other ducks to see if the fighting continues if it does then it's just drake behaviour and this time of year. Please keep us updated on what happens if you separate him. Good luck

3. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    Thank you, i will try seperating him. We have a pair of saxonys, pair of white campbells, pair of call ducks, rouen female, khaki campbell female and a bali runner female and him. There was no fightin at all before he started following the bali runner. Now the fighting is only betweeen the runner and cambell drake. I never see anything other than when its with the runner :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by