Duck with twisted foot need help diagnosing/treating

Dwen

Songster
8 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Concord, NC
I need help diagnosing my WH duck's foot. This started out as a small limp earlier in the month but has morphed into a completely twisted foot and swollen joint. It looks like something that would be described as a vitamin deficient in a duckling, but this is a grown duck who should be getting all the nourishment she needs. It doesn't seem to be a broken bone or an infection either.
I currently have her isolated from the others, and am adding nutritional yeast to her feed just in case.

If you can get to a vet, do.

Are you sure there is no infection? Is it that the leg is not warmer than the other? Try some Epsom salt compresses. I would confine her and give her as much time in a lukewarm tub deep enough to float in as possible, to get the weight off and help circulation.

She may need prescription anti-inflammatories. You could try Traumeel after Epsom salt compresses.

ok, initially I didn't feel any heat in the leg, but now, her upper joint, the swollen one, seems much warmer than the normal one. Where can I find epsom salt compresses?

Thanks,
Dwen

ok, initially I didn't feel any heat in the leg, but now, her upper joint, the swollen one, seems much warmer than the normal one. Where can I find epsom salt compresses?

Thanks,
Dwen
Buy Epsom salt and make your own compresses, using the ES & warm water. 1cup of ES to 1 pint of warm water soak the cloth then wring it out place up against the leg that is infected or swollen and wrap with vet wrap leave on for around 30 minutes at a time.or just hand hold it on. or you can also use a dish pan place ES and warm water enough so that when you place her into the pan it covers the swollen joint. Then just hold her in their for as long as you can keep her still. Don't let her drink the ES water since it also works as a laxative. One reason I like using dish pan they usually cover the top once in it and can't get to the water. I've also used a small bucket the same way and just hold them so their legs dangle into the water. Do they jump onto things? maybe she jump down off of something or stepped into a hole?

Last edited:
Thanks Miss Lydia
smile.png
I was just at wal-mart today for more epsom salt and compresses, but they don't sell the latter, and the lady there said to make my own. Now I know how. Would cheesecloth or old tee-shirt work instead of vet-wrap? It's possible she hurt herself jumping out of the pool. Since I live on a hill, one side of the pool is much further from the ground than the other, and sometimes they get excited and jump out on the wrong side. Any idea how to treat the possible infection? I have a number of essential oils, would any of these toxic to ducks? (lavender oil, lemon oil, peppermint, etc.) Also, should I try giving her garlic orally, or would it be better to make a paste and wrap her joint?

Thank you,
Dwen

Thanks Miss Lydia
smile.png
I was just at wal-mart today for more epsom salt and compresses, but they don't sell the latter, and the lady there said to make my own. Now I know how. Would cheesecloth or old tee-shirt work instead of vet-wrap? It's possible she hurt herself jumping out of the pool. Since I live on a hill, one side of the pool is much further from the ground than the other, and sometimes they get excited and jump out on the wrong side. Any idea how to treat the possible infection? I have a number of essential oils, would any of these toxic to ducks? (lavender oil, lemon oil, peppermint, etc.) Also, should I try giving her garlic orally, or would it be better to make a paste and wrap her joint?

Thank you,
Dwen
I haven't looke up lemom oil yet but I found ths about peppermint oil
Skin preparations containing peppermint oil are used by some people for the following conditions, although, again, there is no clear evidence that they are helpful:
  • Headache
  • Muscle pain
  • Nerve pain
  • Toothache
  • Inflammation of the mouth
  • Joint conditions
  • Itchiness
  • Allergic rash
  • Bacterial and viral infections
  • Repelling mosquitoes
I wouldn't use it straight mix with coconut oil or olive oil and rub gently. Now I'll go look and see what other oils you can use, couldn't find any thing about lavender being used for infections. what other essential oils do you have?

http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/natural-essential-oils/health-benefits-of-lemon-oil.html

I use garlic in the fermented feed I give to my flock I buy organic garlic granules and mix 3 tab into a 1 gallon bucket of feed along with unpasterized ACV and warm water. If you wanted to give her some you could add to her feed and mix warm water into it so it wouldn't fall to the bottom of the container you use to feed her from. I also add dried oregano to the FF my house smells like an Italian restaurant right now since it's winter and I can't keep my FF out in the feed room.

Last edited:
Rural king has Duramycin-10 Tetracycline powder in the cattle section. It runs about $5 for a 6.4 oz bag. Put some in a tub and give her a swim in it. It is an antibiotic.

Quote: I had this happen with my big Muscovy drake a couple years ago. instead of using the ramp to come down from the pool he jumped off the side and hurt himself, I had to put him on rest for a couple weeks and he got okay but he didn't have any swelling or twisted foot from it. He did limp though for a while.

Rural king has Duramycin-10 Tetracycline powder in the cattle section. It runs about $5 for a 6.4 oz bag. Put some in a tub and give her a swim in it. It is an antibiotic.
I would rather see her dose according to directions if she decides to go that route, How would you decide how much to use in a tub?

Back
Top Bottom