Duck won’t stop quacking

honey and bee

In the Brooder
May 14, 2022
I have two female buff orphington ducks, both 10 months old. One is very sweet, she will follow me everywhere, wants to sit with me, and get love. The other one (Bee) is the complete opposite. She’s been a spitfire since day one, very loud, and not a fan of people. To this day, she still acts like I’m going to kill her. Like I said, Bee has always been loud, but recently, she has been non-stop quacking 24/7. I’ve looked her over countless times, she is very healthy, they always have more than enough water, but for the past month or so, she’s just been in constant distress. I get up at 5:00 am every morning to get ready for school, and I go outside, let them out, and fill up their pool. By then, it’s time for me to head to school. The quacking starts as soon as I leave, and ends only when I put them back in their coop at about 8:30 pm. It seems like it’s related to me, she’ll stare at my family in the window when i’m gone and quack at them for hours, and when she sees me when I get back, it intensifies. BUT SHE DOESNT EVEN LIKE ME. As soon as I go out there, she runs away and wants nothing to do with me, but is quiet. It is also extremely hot where I live, normally 105°F most days, but they have a pool with ice and misters that go off every hour, so they are able to stay relatively cool. However when that isn’t enough, I do bring them inside for a little bit to cool off, and Bee absolutely loves that. So I’m not sure if she’s just protesting that it’s hot so she can come inside? I hate seeing her so distressed and inconsolable, and we’re worried about noise complaints from our neighbors. Does anyone have any idea as to what it could be or how to help her?

Ducks are a little hard to understand, especially if you expect them to behave like the pets you might be used to, cats and dogs. Just because your duck doesn't want you to touch her doesn't mean she doesn't like you. My ducks don't want me to touch them. But they adore me and want me to sit outside with them all day every day.

Mine also shout quack. They do it when they want something. Usually they want me to take them for a walk, spend time with them, or bring them snacks like tomatoes or mealworms. Mine often start if they hear the door, my voice, or see me in a window.

If I had to guess I would say your duck wants you. Or she's entitled, mine is. Or she likes the sound of her voice.

Also... My ducks do not like the heat. I give them shade and fresh cool water often.

Welcome to the weird world of ducks,my one Pekin she will scream at the top of her lungs for hours to get what she wants it could be she wants a snack or wants To go in the creek or just wants me to hang out with her.My ducks are in duck.Jail because of the eagle and hawk trying to get them this month so they are not happy they are normally free range so they do yell a lot in protest.Sometimes I think she just like to hear herself yell.

Welcome to the weird world of ducks,my one Pekin she will scream at the top of her lungs for hours to get what she wants it could be she wants a snack or wants To go in the creek or just wants me to hang out with her.My ducks are in duck.Jail because of the eagle and hawk trying to get them this month so they are not happy they are normally free range so they do yell a lot in protest.Sometimes I think she just like to hear herself yell.
my Sprightly loves to yell at me. Usually she is either upset with me (I dont know what I do that offends her, but she does hold grudges) or she just wants me to sit with her.
Ducks are funny creatures. 😂

I have a Khaki Campbell Hen that I got about a month ago. I got it along with a Sweet quiet Muscovy Hen. On the way home after trading a huge Drake for these two it quacked so loud in our vehicle that it actually hurt our ears. I knew then I was in trouble. lol It will let out quacks so loud that my neighbor at the end of my street can hear it but luckily he absolutely loves it! Lucky me and lucky her. I live in a housing development so I am blessed that my neighbors love my ducks and put up with the noise.

Back
Top Bottom