duck wont eat.. update - she did die this morning

Ducker123

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
GB
i have an indian runner duck that is refusing to eat anything other that worms i have tryed peas and everthing else i can thing or she is looing weight very fast and is very thing and wobbly on her feet and now spends most of her time just lying down, and seems very week. i cant see anything odd round her vent or in her mouth or on the skin, any one have any idea why she wont eat or what is wrong? i think she will be dead by the end of the week if i dont find some thing to help.

Last edited:
She may be dehydrated. Make sure she can dip her beck upto the top of her nostril. Hope someothers post ideas as well! Nancy

it could be the heat from summer. make sure she has plenty of water to drink and swim in if possible. she could also be getting to the age where she will need more protein so that may be why she favors the worms. my girl is at 5 months now and stopped eating nearly as much as usual so i started mixing hard-boiled eggs in her food and she's back to normal. if that does work try feeding her any kinds of treats you can just so you know shes eating SOMETHING. if the case is extreme like this, i would try taking her to a vet just in case
sad.png
...good luck!

thanks everyone could be dehydration although she constantlty has access to water and food during the night and day, the set up is about a 12ft by 6ft indoor enclouse with a kiddy pool inside and a hutch type thing where the sleep at night time then i let them out in the morning and they have free range of the garden every day. she has been like this for about a week she looks like she gets excited when i bring her the worms i have tryed mixing then in with her pellets and put water on the pellets but she just picks out the worms from inbetween. although she doesnt get up and move around so i have to carry her from the bed area to the garden every day and she just flops down. and she couldnt have eaten moldy feed as i refresh the feed every day. i can get vet help as a last resort.

Last edited:
Has she had any emotional trauma lately? Did she have a duck friend and then lost her (to predation, sale, etc.)? Ducks will often pine away with grief. It's also possible she has an obstruction of some sort from eating something she shouldn't have. If you can get her to a vet, that would be best.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope you're able to find a cause and fix it soon. Poor little thing.
sad.png

no stress none of her pals have died, just seemed to be a sudden one day thing one day she was fine the next she was refusing to eat, i think the vets is the option im going to have to take, thank you
smile.png
just going to keep posative and keep digging up those worms till i can get her to a vet

thanks again everyone for the help and input you gave, i had made an appointment and the vets for this morning was ready to go and then i got her out put her in the box ready to go, by the time we had got to the vets she had sadly died
sad.png
here is a picture of her. rip babs.

88367_copy_of_the_3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom