Duck won't leave chickens side

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lthwaites221, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Lthwaites221

Lthwaites221 New Egg

Apr 15, 2017
    We recently brought home 2 x 5 week old chicks and 1 x female muscovy duckling. The duckling was with the chicks at the breeder and she seems to have imprinted on the chicks. They're all about the same age. They all get along very well... probably a little too well.
    They fret when separated. If the duck gets too far from the chicks she runs over to them with a look of panic and so it goes.
    The chickens are learning to go up the ramp to their coop at dusk but when they do the duck frets and won't follow them. I decided tonight to try a different sleeping pattern. Since the duck is growing to a decent size and she is making a real mess in the coop i set up a secure enclosed area under the cooop with fresh straw bedding for just the duck. I got the chicks to bed, enclosed the duck and both parties made such a racquet! In the end I just caved and put the duck back in with the chicks.
    I need to know will it ever be possible to separate the duck and chicks at sleeping time?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If you got another female Duckling, the duckling would then be happy without the Chicks..;)...

Best wishes...:)

Cheers!

3. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I agree. Both chickens and ducks are flock animals and hate to be by themselves, even for short periods of time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by