Duck won't walk on her feet. Not sure if bumblefoot.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alexflower, Apr 26, 2017.

1. alexflower

alexflower Just Hatched

Apr 26, 2017
    6 days ago I found my 7 month old female duck refused to walk on her feet. She was pulling herself around with her wings. The other 5 females I have began picking on her and ostracizing her four days ago so I isolated her to a pen wig bedding in my garage. I saw what looked like old sores on each of her feet smaller than a dime. I thought they were calluses from walking but they have grown in size but haven't gotten black like the pictures of bumblefoot. I tried lancing them but couldn't get much beyond blood out of them. She doesn't move in her own although she will eat and drink some. I have been soaking her feet in epsom salt baths and wrapping them but because she won't move she soils herself and the bandages get soaked and dirty which is not good for her open sores. I have been treating her feet with vetericyn for three days with not viable changes. All bumblefoot threads I read say the duck limps but not that they refuse to walk at all. As young as she is I don't want to euthanize her but I've never dealt with duck illnesses before and have few resources in the area.[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Tlmcq

Tlmcq Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2017
    Pomeroy, OH
    Looks like bumblefoot. Epson salt soaks and antibiotic ointment...You want to soak foot til scab is soft. It may take awhile to totally clear. Do not let drink Epsom salts it has laxitive affect..Just put foot in for 10 to 15 minutes. You can search bumblefoot on here or Google for more help

3. alexflower

alexflower Just Hatched

Apr 26, 2017
    After four days of treatment with soaking, niacin and b vitamin supplements I rexamined her and found a puncture wound under her wing that is infected. I am taking her to the vet today to be examined and determine if she can be treated depending on how far along the infection is. I'm worried that the infection has reached bone and don't want her to suffer.

4. Tlmcq

Mar 17, 2017
    Pomeroy, OH
    Good Luck and keep us posted. Ducks are pretty hardy and have great immune systems so hopefully you caught this all in time.

5. alexflower

alexflower Just Hatched

Apr 26, 2017
    I took my duck who I'm now calling Tiffany home from the vet last night with good news. The vet said that her puncture wound had already begun to heal and scab over and that she should make a full recovery after a four-day dosage on penicillin. She ate very well last night a lot more than she has in the past week. When I put her in the bathtub for her morning so she seemed extremely happy and played in the water for quite a while. She even started grooming herself which she hasn't done since before this all started a week ago. When I took her out of the bath this morning she even tried to stand a little bit. I'm very grateful for this experience and have learned so much.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. Tlmcq

Mar 17, 2017
    Pomeroy, OH
    Awesome news!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by