Duck Worming

MandyJ

Songster
Oct 9, 2015
Ledbetter, Texas
I have 3 ducks, they are free roaming (except at night, they are in a pen). All 3 are laying hens. One is a mallard and the other 2 are pekin. These are the first ducks that I have every had. I am clueless!!!! But struggling along!

The mallard started limping on one foot and she stopped laying about 2 weeks ago (because it's fall?) but she doesn't look ill. I have read that these can be symptoms of worms. The pekins look fine. They are all eating/drinking well. I understand that you should worm your ducks. I purchased Wazine 17 at the feed store but it only gets rid of roundworms. What should be given other than the Wazine? Anything?

Thanks for anyone's help! As I said, I am clueless but learning!

Mandy

Are there any other signs of illness, i.e. not eating/drinking, weight loss, worms in feces? Storey's Guide states that if ducks have a clean environment, enough food and clean water, and a balanced diet there is a low chance of them getting worms. Personally, I would not medicate on animal on a mere hunch. If I remember right mallards do not lay that many eggs in a year so she may be going on a break. Her not laying eggs could be normal and unrelated to the limping.

Have you looked at her feet and legs to make sure she doesn't have some kind of injury? She might have bumblefoot or some other leg problem.

I generally get a fecal test done once a year - it's less expensive than an office visit, and takes the guesswork out. I did miss this year - I'll just wait a few months - when they're not laying - and get that done.

So far I have not had to de-worm the ducks. @Miss Lydia has used dewormer, I think.

I generally get a fecal test done once a year - it's less expensive than an office visit, and takes the guesswork out. I did miss this year - I'll just wait a few months - when they're not laying - and get that done.

So far I have not had to de-worm the ducks. @Miss Lydia has used dewormer, I think.

I have 3 ducks, they are free roaming (except at night, they are in a pen). All 3 are laying hens. One is a mallard and the other 2 are pekin. These are the first ducks that I have every had. I am clueless!!!! But struggling along!

The mallard started limping on one foot and she stopped laying about 2 weeks ago (because it's fall?) but she doesn't look ill. I have read that these can be symptoms of worms. The pekins look fine. They are all eating/drinking well. I understand that you should worm your ducks. I purchased Wazine 17 at the feed store but it only gets rid of roundworms. What should be given other than the Wazine? Anything?

Thanks for anyone's help! As I said, I am clueless but learning!

Mandy
Your Mallard may just be through laying for the year, they are seasonal layers so they lay from Spring to fall. As for the limping you need to examine the foot she may have a splinter or bumble foot both need to be treated. I usually worm all my water fowl in the fall of the year just started matter of fact on day 2. When I am worming everyone I use Safe Guard for goats it's a liquid and I mix in their feed one reason I am doing it for 5 days. It's a very safe wormer[ @casportpony is my mentor] Since you only have 3 I'd go with the paste it's easy to use to. TSC carries it and it's for horses. It will kill all parasites where like you have found out Wazine only gets the round worms. You can take some duck poop to your vet and get them to do a fecal that will show up and worms then treat. I just go ahead and treat since some worms can't be see with the eye I just want to make sure mine are covered. And also depending on what part of the country your in usually tells how big a worm load your birds will have living in the south more than up north or where it is wet and humid compared to dry and arid.
@MandyJ here is a thread with good info and you can ask questions too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...formations-graphic-pictures/480#post_15936652

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help.

I have not looked at her legs/feet. These ducks were given to me and were not used to people picking them up. They get so stressed out when you hold them that I was trying not to have to pick her up.

The other 2 pekin are still laying one egg each a day, so I was concerned when the mallard quit laying.

I have pened them up for the day and night for the Wazine #17 water treatment, boy are they unhappy and NOT afraid to tell me about it.

Again, thanks for the help. I have a LOT to learn!

Mandy

Can you tell me what symptoms I am looking for in a duck that has worms?
Check the droppings ... ... It really is worth a regular (even if it seems unpleasant) hard look at your chicken's droppings. Always think of the adage 'You are what you eat'! On the right, is an image of what healthy dropping should look like so you can make a comparison. Healthy chicken droppings should be fairly firm and rounded with two distinct sections. The largest darker portion should be black, brown and/or grey in colour and the smaller portion should be white (this is the urine) and it will form a cap at one end. As with all advice we give, it is not a precise diagnosis so if you are at all concerned, you should consult a vet who can arrange a worm count of the droppings.

If the droppings are: Green coloured - this could be a dietary imbalance caused by too much green matter or too much protein, or can also be indicative of a more serious internal infection. Veterinary diagnosis is recommended if you reduce the green in their diet but it makes no difference.
Yellow coloured - loose yellow droppings which will normally stick to the feathers of the birds bottom are most often a sign of internal worms. It can also be that the birds have a diet rich in corn or maize but in our experience it is usually worms. It could also point to a respiratory infection but there would be other signs with this kind of problem.
This is not to be confused with Caecal droppings which are brown and foamy and expelled roughly every 7-10 droppings - perfectly normal.
Black, runny and sticky - Can point to nutritional deficiency. Revisit their diet and feed only layers pellets ad lib with treats of corn twice a day for two weeks to see if this improves their droppings. Stop all other treats for this period.

Other signs are:- worms visible in the droppings; mucky bottoms; dishevelled, depressed appearance; weight loss; drop in egg production;[ pale comb.] chickens

Got this off the internet. Here, http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Worming_Poultry.html

Last edited:
@MandyJ no matter how uncooperative your duck maybe, you need to look at your ducks foot/feet. If she has Bumble foot it can become septic if not treated and she could die. So walk her inside her house slowly and corner her then pick her up wrap her in a towel and look at her foot. Get some to help if that makes it easier. There is alot of good info on here for treating Bumble but it cannot be ignored if the infection spreads it will be very painful too. Let us know what you see and a pic if you can..

@MandyJ no matter how uncooperative your duck maybe, you need to look at your ducks foot/feet. If she has Bumble foot it can become septic if not treated and she could die. So walk her inside her house slowly and corner her then pick her up wrap her in a towel and look at her foot. Get some to help if that makes it easier. There is alot of good info on here for treating Bumble but it cannot be ignored if the infection spreads it will be very painful too. Let us know what you see and a pic if you can..

I have looked at the mallard's foot and leg. I see nothing. There was no doing anything slowly! I had to catch her with a net...she was NOT happy. In fact so unhappy that she wouldn't even eat her green peas! And she LOVES her green peas! LOL

I have given the ducks Wazine #17 today and tonight (cooped up with the medicated water). I understand I repeat it in 10 days, correct? I have also gotten the Safeguard dewormer for the othere types of worms. Do I wait a certain period after the Wazine to give the ducks Safeguard or give it a few days after the Wazine #17?

The duck looks fine other than limping. Today I see no limp. Go figure!!! I had noticed that when she crosses our gravel road she really limps but when on grass it isn't so pronounced. I am clueless.

Thanks! I'm learning!!!

I have looked at the mallard's foot and leg. I see nothing. There was no doing anything slowly! I had to catch her with a net...she was NOT happy. In fact so unhappy that she wouldn't even eat her green peas! And she LOVES her green peas! LOL

I have given the ducks Wazine #17 today and tonight (cooped up with the medicated water). I understand I repeat it in 10 days, correct? I have also gotten the Safeguard dewormer for the othere types of worms. Do I wait a certain period after the Wazine to give the ducks Safeguard or give it a few days after the Wazine #17?

The duck looks fine other than limping. Today I see no limp. Go figure!!! I had noticed that when she crosses our gravel road she really limps but when on grass it isn't so pronounced. I am clueless.

Thanks! I'm learning!!!
Mandy J go here and ask about the Wazine and safe guard. I only use the safe Guard for 5 days and don't re worm in 10 so I am not sure what you should do..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...formations-graphic-pictures/490#post_15940793

I just posted a question on there for you about treating the pen after worming still waiting on an answer.

I am glad your seeing an improvement and she isn't limping Bumble foot isn't something to ignore. That is why I kept on at you about it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom