1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

duck wounds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MandyJ, Oct 10, 2015.

1. MandyJ

MandyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2015
    Ledbetter, Texas
    This is for information only.

I need to know what I need to keep here at the house for wounded ducks. I understand to wash it with Saline solution and I have antibiotics to put in the water but what should I use as an ointment?

I don't have a problem now, but I have had injured birds (open wounds) and didn't know what to use. Of course it was over the weekend so couldn't get to a vet or Texas A&M (closest major vet).

2. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    1 person likes this.
  3. MandyJ

Oct 9, 2015
    Ledbetter, Texas
    Thanks for the link!

4. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    U R Welcome!

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I use Chlorhexidine for cleaning and wounds I use a triple antibiotic ointment like neosporin on some of them. For an oral antibiotic I don't think any of the water soluble ones at feed stores are meant to be used for treating wounds.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  6. MandyJ

Oct 9, 2015
    Ledbetter, Texas
    When our guinnies were little a raccoon chewed off some of their toes. We were told by Texas A&M to rinse their feet in hydrogen peroxide (ouch!!) but not neosporin. They didn't say why. But I would think it would be a good idea.

I was desperate when our duck got torn up by a neighbor's dog. She had a gaping hole right in front of the wing. You could see all of the muscles of the wing. I didn't think the bird would make it. We washed it out with hydrogen peroxide and sprayed a spray bandage all over it. Confined her in a cage within the regular duck cage for about 2 weeks. I was also giving her antibiotics in the water. She completely healed!

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  8. MandyJ

Oct 9, 2015
    Ledbetter, Texas
    I will get some Chlorhexidine to keep on hand. You never know. I was trying to get what I might need so I will have it on hand IF and WHEN injury happens again. I will be prepared!!

Thanks!

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

You're welcome! You might also want to look into getting a couple different types of antibiotics.

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    There are three antibiotics that are must haves for me... Baytril, metronidazole and amoxicillin. Having those three enables me to treat just about any issues that might come up.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by