duck yard landscaped

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stargazingmommy, Jun 19, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    I landscaped the duck yard. I'm sick of mud. I bathe my ducks because they are always covered in mud. I used river rock under the pool. I'm afraid to use pea gravel because I'm paranoid they will eat it and choke. Theres netting over the center part and stepping stones to help hold it up. I seeded it with grass. Behind that there is clematis, morning glory, Joshua grass, and Autumn fern. Theres netting over it but the ducks can still eat some poking through, why I did it that way.
    The right is their house. the board was there leaning against the fence for extra shade, I was to lazy to toss it out. I'm not sure what to do under their house. Really wanted to do paving stones but afraid they will hurt their feet or it will get to hot for them. anyway...heres the mess, nope not gonna clean it up tonight. The area in front of the duck yard is my garden, bare because the little jerks ate it. more than once.

[​IMG]

2. THunter

THunter Chillin' With My Peeps

You're still going to have a mess. Ducks are just messy critters.

3. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:oh i expect that...I don't think I will be sinking in 6" of mud now, at least in most of it lol.

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Wail till winter comes, your ducks will be up to their eyes in mud. How many do you have and what breeds are they

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I have pea gravel in my ducks pen and they are fine with it. It works great. All I have to do is hose down the poop. [​IMG]

6. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:2. a peking and runner
    Do you think it would be a good idea to gravel or use paving stones under their house?
    winter not bad. spring will be hell. Winter it will be frozen bad
    I'm debating on what to do with them over winter.

7. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:I figured that I can hose the rocks off easy. They don't try to eat the pea gravel? Mine are a bit dense and eat just about anything...yesterday I caught one with several feathers hanging out his mouth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by