Duckens???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mcfarlandteresa, Jun 28, 2008.

1. mcfarlandteresa

mcfarlandteresa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    I have never heard of this and never seen it but my rooster who I call Boss is mating with my duck.[​IMG] Is this normal????[​IMG] Me and my husband nearly fell out of the chair when we saw this. :thAnd they hang around together like they are a couple. The duck follows the rooster all over the yard. Any input on this little situation would be greatly appreciated!

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    i don't know too much about ducks, but if i remember right from whatever grade they taught it to me in, are monogomous and will pick a mate for life. Not sure if it is all sucks but i am pretty sure the mallards do. On the other hand if you get some duckens i would sure love to see one of those. [​IMG] PS. where i get all those cool smileys at?

3. mcfarlandteresa

mcfarlandteresa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    Hello! Got my smileys from the right side on my reply page. Man if that duck starts laying eggs I'm gonna flip out![​IMG] I just assumed it was a he and we call him top knot. He's a black and white crested. He's (she's) so pretty. Believe me if I get eggs I'm gonna post it for sure. This would only happen at my house! LOL!

4. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    thank you very much and if it is a he then you got your work cut out for you. What would a person call a male duck that enjoys the company of a rooster anyway?[​IMG]

5. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    If it's a male, it should have a curled tail feathers(4+months old). Females start to lay eggs around 8 months old, but will lay with or without a male. I don't think these species can produce offspring, they can mate, but her eggs won't be fertile. Although someone posted a picture of a guinea and chicken mix, unless it was a joke [​IMG]

6. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    that is a very pretty polish i hope mine stays the way she is. I am not going to breed her or anything but i will keep her she is great to look at.[​IMG]

7. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    can you hear me now? :

that is a very pretty polish i hope mine stays the way she is. I am not going to breed her or anything but i will keep her she is great to look at.[​IMG]

That hen is my favorite girl! She is only about a year old. I would love to see pictures of yours. Is it a silver laced?​

8. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Yes she is and she is beautiful, I hope you don't mind me putting a picture on your post but here goes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    She's pretty! She has nice lacing in her top hat [​IMG]

10. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    lol she is a little ruffled up right now but yes she does. got her not very long ago and still strying to get her to be friendly but i am patient she just needs human intervention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by