1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckies are not affectionate with me like they are with their big brother...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lunyre, Feb 26, 2014.

1. lunyre

lunyre Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    My first duck, Jimmy, loves me and is always up for cuddling and playing.. however, my two younger ducks, Maverick and Dexter, seem to just tolerate me being around. they dont like being handled by me and they wont cuddle or play for more than a couple minutes at a time. They're imprinted on my older duck rather than on me.. haha. any advice as to how to make them a little more chummy with me too?

2. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    If you raised Jimmy as a lone duck and the other two together, I am afraid they will never be as cuddly as Jimmy. Lone ducklings have a VERY strong imprint on their owners, while since the other two ducklings have each other, they will imprint on each other. I am raising a lone duckling and he is much more attached to me than my other ducklings were because they were raised together. I would just keep handling them; handling them a lot makes them friendlier. Treats also help a lot :) Good luck!

3. lunyre

lunyre Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    Thats exactly the case i think.. i had Jimmy a little over a week before i got the other two.

i let them roam around my house when im cleaning out their brooder, but when its time to go back inside I usually grab Jimmy first and plop him in.. as soon as i do, Maverick and Dexter FREAK the heck out and run allllllll over the place... wont let me get near them. I end up having to either chase them down or coax them with treats. its just a little bit annoying.. haha.

4. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I am surprised that they don't follow you though. Thats interesting. I w

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    First thing don't chase them that's what preds do right before they eat them. sit where you can get them close enough to pick up then let Jimmie come over to you for treats, and coax the other 2, since now they are afraid of you it will take a bit of time but you'll win them over if you don't get in a hurry. Best thing would be to carry them into a small room like a bath room and let them run around in there while you are cleaning their brooder that way when it's time to go back you can sit on the floor with them and easily pick them up after you have bribed them with treats. it may take a while but they'll warm up to you if you don't scare them by chasing them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by