Duckies First Swim-video included

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jenniemig, Feb 21, 2014.

1. jenniemig

jenniemig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Qwackers really didn't know what to do, but he/she still seemed to have fun. Raj and Indie had a blast! They spent about 10 minutes in the tub, then I towel dried them and put them back in their warm brooder. They all immediately started preening and were dry in a few minutes. That's my husbands voice at the end.

[​IMG]

2. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    They are too cute! I am so glad to see they are all doing well :)

3. jenniemig

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Thanks Finny! They looked like they had so much fun I may make this a nightly thing. As soon as the coop and run are finished I am going to get started on their pond.

I have the liner and rocks, just need to workout the filtration since I don't have power out there. I have someone offering me free water plants. They have a small duck pond with no filer or aerator, just the plants, and it looks clear.

4. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    That seems like it would work. I need to get myself some water plants. I have a pond I made but the syphon I have does not work on it like I thought it would so I was planning on filling in the pond this spring and getting a drainable tub. But this plant idea sounds like a good one. How can I get these plants though?

5. jenniemig

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    She said she ordered them from California, and they multiply like crazy. It is a water lettuce type plant. What is your climate like? She says that they will live in a bucket during cold weather.

6. jenniemig

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I am also checking on a fresh water shrimp/crawfish that eats waste as well. I'll just have to figure out how to keep the ducks from eating them!

7. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    I live in NY so the weather can get into the negatives during the winter and into the 100s during the summer.

8. jenniemig

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I suppose you could move them into a bucket during the winter. If mine multiply I will ship you some:)

9. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Thank you so much! That would be great :)

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Qwackers definitely has the "I'm okay" wing-flap down!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by