Ducking help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Missyyann, May 30, 2019.

1. Missyyann

Missyyann Chirping

Mar 30, 2019
    Hey all! My duck just hatched her first duckling. Our set up currently is 5 ducks, the momma duck is in a house connected with a ramp. I’m a tad worried about the other ducks with the duckling. Would it be okay to lock momma and the baby (will be more to hatch) in the house temporarily so the other ducks don’t bother them? Also what’s a great waterer for momma and ducklings

Attached Files:

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Def separate mama and duckling but so everyone can still see each other. A good waterer something similar to this. @DuckyDonna has made a milk jug one too maybe she has a pic 4E11965A-DB74-4022-ADD9-89FB02DCB64B.jpeg . And Congrats!!

3. Missyyann

Missyyann Chirping

Mar 30, 2019
    Great is this okay for momma too?

4. Missyyann

Missyyann Chirping

Mar 30, 2019
    I can put a little gate up for the mom and baby looks like another is on it’s way

5. Miss Lydia

I use another waterer for mom like a 2 gal bucket that the ducklings can’t get into because if you make the holes on your homemade water container too large then the ducklings can climb into it. Place these on a try or an old broiler pan to try an contain the spilled water. Exciting how many eggs is she sitting on?

Jpat and quackiemama like this.
  6. Missyyann

Missyyann Chirping

Mar 30, 2019
    5 others two were hers and by the coloring this is one of her babies. I won’t be keeping the others but if this is female I may keep it. Very cute

Attached Files:

7. Miss Lydia

That is an adorable duckling. Full of spunk too, just look at that face!

Texag87, Missyyann and quackiemama like this.
  8. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    very cute

Missyyann and Miss Lydia like this.
  9. Missyyann

Missyyann Chirping

Mar 30, 2019
    I bought a few things to make momma and single duckling happy pretty sure more will be on the way soon!

Miss Lydia and quackiemama like this.
  10. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Yes I did make a milk jug waterer and it works great, just not when they're 2 days old! Maybe next week! I jumped the gun with it. I put it in their pen this morning and one immediately went right through the holes I thought they couldn't fit in. I had to rethink things and go to plan B which is the picture Miss Lydia posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: