Ducking Iding

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kada6305, Mar 14, 2013.

1. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    So I have three ducklings, all look alike. cant really see their feet unless I have them out and what not. Would be okay to put a dot of nail polish on their backs? or would this hurt their feathers?

2. twunker

twunker Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    I think that would be fine,but not too much so if they consume some while the nail polish is still wet they won't get sick!!

3. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    I will keep an eye on them, and yeah just a tiny dot. :) i wanted to make sure it wouldnt harm their feathers. Thanks for replying so fast !

4. twunker

twunker Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    your welcome

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    You can but it won't stay for long. I've tried alot of different ways of IDing (permanent marker on light legs, blu kot on back feathers etc) they grow so fast and are in water so much, nothing stays for long.
    If I need to ID someone then I use colored zip ties. I get them at Dollar Tree and they are not great (for typical zip tie usage) but they usually stay on. With growing birds, you need to keep a close eye to make sure they don't become tight as they grow.

People also use velcro ties which are a bit easier to remove. Just make sure that anything you use can't be swallowed by them.

If you use nail polish let each dry before letting them together. I'd maybe try it on a toenail, if its good quality it'll stay for a while. You could do a left foot on one, a right foot on one and nothing on the other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by