Duckling advice please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Thurnhamflyer, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Thurnhamflyer

Thurnhamflyer In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2019
    Kent, UK
    Help! We have 8 MSV ducklings which are nearly 3 weeks old. Mother hatched them fine and has been very protective (Drake not so much and have kept him separated most of this week). Mother has just attacked one of her ducklings, and we noticed it has blood around the beak. Not sure if she attacked it because it’s injured or for some other reason?

Not sure if it’s best to keep this ducking on its own and try and hand rear it or not? We have hand reared ducklings successfully in the past, but feel like we shouldn’t take one away from the mother and other ducklings unless we need to.

Has anyone any experience of an injured beak. Doesn’t look too serious and hoping it will heal on its own.

Attached Files:

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

It will be fine just put some triple antibiotic on it. If she attacks it again then I would def remove the duckling and raise yourselves. I had a mama Muscovy attack her newly hatched duckling around the head and he healed fine also took him away from her because she wouldn't stop.

Duckworth and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  3. Thurnhamflyer

Jul 13, 2019
    Kent, UK
    Thank you - I decided that it was probably better to reintroduce them sooner rather than later. She seems to have accepted her/him back into the fold at the moment.

She has got 8 to contend with, which is a lot of ducklings to look after and I think she got a bit stresses! All seems much calmer at the moment

4. Thurnhamflyer

Jul 13, 2019
    Kent, UK
    Back together and seem happy enough at the moment.

Attached Files:

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Beautiful!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: