Duckling advice please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kimbo71, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Kimbo71

Kimbo71 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2013
    Victoria (Australia)
    Hi everyone,

I hatched four wild duck eggs yesterday (Pacific Black ducks in Australia). The last egg had been damaged and was way behind the others. So here is my problem:

Beaker is so tiny and is much smaller than the other ducklings. She was pretty good yesterday playing with the other ducks in water, etc. But today she is mostly snuggling under the lamp and not doing a lot. She also seems to be breathing really heavily.

So far I have only given them lettuce and spinach. The chick starter I bought is medicated, so I put one bowl in (and they didn't touch it) so I then found out not to give them medicated stuff and I took it out.

She is my favourite and I want to do the right thing to give her the best chance at survival.

Can anyone offer advice on a tiny baby?

Thanks,
    Kim

2. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    1)Give them easy access to drinking water. Change the food source of course. And also I always dip all my wild babies beaks in the food and water a coupla times each day the first two days so they get the hang of eating and drinking. it never hurts them to do this anyway. Hope this helps. Option2)You can also force feed. Ive rarely done it and saved a couple BUT Im not a vet so I cant go there to help you for force feedings. Just letting you know about it. (option 2) Sad to say but sometimes the runts just dont make it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  3. denise91

denise91 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    She might just be hungry. Get some nonmedicated food and mix it with a little bit of water or have a source of water near the food. I hatched a mallard that refused to eat until I made sure his food was moist.

4. Kimbo71

Oct 30, 2013
    Victoria (Australia)
    Thanks for your advice, but my lil bubba didn't make it. She lived 24 hours only, but she was my favourite. My10yo and I just buried her in the front yard and put a little marker on her grave. And I am so sad. :'-(

5. denise91

denise91 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    I'm so sorry for your loss!

6. Kimbo71

Oct 30, 2013
    Victoria (Australia)
    Thanks Denise. No-one warned me you get this attached to them. Little buggers.

7. Kimbo71

Oct 30, 2013
    Victoria (Australia)
    On the upside, I figured out how to make the other ducklings eat (finally). Chuck their food in the water, then they LOVE eating!
    (nb: yes - I am changing the water a lot!)

[​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] they are adorable too.

9. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Yes They are indeed, Thanks for the pics of them. Sorry for your loss, but glad the others are eating now for you. Good on ya. Keep a dish of food by that same water pan and in no time they will get the hang of eating without having it being in the water. But they will still go to the water and make a mess too[​IMG] Good luck! Also wanted to say Hi Lydia. Havent been over here in a while Hope you and yours are doing well! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi destin, been missing you over here, how about visiting more often. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by