Duckling ages?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLopes, Mar 29, 2017.

1. TLopes

TLopes Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Good morning yall! Can anyone tell me the age of our new babies? Days old? Weeks old? I've kept chickens, but never ducks. We are in El Paso, TX. Hoping for a few pekin females to help with garden pests control, eggs, and be the newest members to our family of 2 boys. Thanks in advance!

2. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    My guess is 5 days to a week :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    The one standing in front of the tallest has some blue markings on her head. Are you sure they're all pekins? The big one seems to be.

1 person likes this.
  4. TLopes

Mar 28, 2017
    Thank you!! My best guess is that Blue (as I've so appropriately named him lol) is a mulard or some other hybrid (mutt) duck. :D Which doesn't really bother me too much. In my town it's very hard to buy just a few ducklings and know their breed and sex. But I'm REALLY HOPING that at least two are Pekin females. Oddly enough, Blue is the friendliest...so even though he's the odd duckling out I just can't NOT love him hahaa

5. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    [​IMG]

The circled ones are the ones I believe to be pekin :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    Awww blue is such a cute name! If you could get better pics of blue, we may be able to make guesses about breed. Or he may just be a mutt :D

7. TLopes

Mar 28, 2017
    Thanks! I truly hope so. The littlest one you circled was laying about a lot, but after nurturing, food, and water seems to be much better. [​IMG]
    Now she walks around and eats and drinks wI think the rest. But still tires easily. I just got niacin today to add to their water. Do you think maybe she was just stressed? No diarrhea or anything else

8. TLopes

Mar 28, 2017
    Thanks! I'll definitely upload some better pics of blue later today.

9. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    She's probably just stressed about the move to your house. I assume you got her from the feed store or a farm or something. Which means you drove her home, and sometimes that is stressful.

Also babies just sleep a lot. When I would hold mine, the would sleep every single time. She may just be the sleepy one. But as long as she can eat and drink and run around every now and then, she's probably fine. Especially since your implementing Niacin. Do you have them on electrolytes?

10. TLopes

Mar 28, 2017
    Yes, Blue & her came from a local farm supply store. Friday they had a bunch of ducklings and I went back on Monday and these were the only two that looked like pekins. The bigger two are from tractor supply. They all integrated well together. But I'm hoping they're not jumbo pekins which I've only just learned of this morning. I dont want a chunky bird that has leg problems, I will be sad, I want them as pets. But if they're jumbo I am positive my husband will want to cull them. What you're saying is good advice, thank you! I'm glad to hear sleepiness is normal. She's very happy to be cuddled. I couldn't find electrolytes this morning, but I'm going to the pet store tomorrow. Advice on how to use it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by