Duckling almost drowned!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by duckins, Jan 31, 2013.

1. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    My 4 day old runner must have tired over nite found her in shallow chick waterer this am head hanging out but body drenched the others were under heat lamp this part of brooder not as warm. She was soaked and cold was not moving eyes open took her to bathroom gentle blow dried her put small heat lamp over her she's in little tote she chirping lungs sound clear she moving but can't stand sort of scooting and flipping over on her hack shes dry but what should I do now when and how can I feed or give her some water. Does she sound like she's getting better or perking up to pass. I am so mad with myself she seemed weaker when they arrived yesterday.

2. tomhoogstra

tomhoogstra Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2012
    Sorry, I don't know much about ducks but Ill bump the post for you.

Hope you get an answer.

Note: Possibly the duck went into a bit of shock?

3. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Ok thanks

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Make sure she is completely dry. With very small ducklings you need to put something in the waterer so that they cannot get themselves in there. It should only be deep enough for them to drink. You can put marbles, about dime size, in the base to prevent this.

Add some sugar to the water for her dissolve about 1/3 cup in a quart of water. Water should be room temp or just warmer, not cold or hot. Make sure that the area that you have her in is at the right temp, around 85-90 MAX. You don't want to overheat her by trying to get her warm thats just as bad as cold or wet. Make sure she is completely dry, blow dry on a warm setting being careful not to overheat her.

You will get more replies regarding them in the duck section, even for emergencies.

Hope she pulls through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by