Duckling attacked by drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kcbdcarnold, May 7, 2016.

1. kcbdcarnold

kcbdcarnold New Egg

Mar 31, 2016
    Our duckling was attacked by our drake today. It has missing skin from the top of its head, about the size of a nickel and missing feathers from its back (pretty much just rough skin now.) The mom tried to protect it but she doesn't get around too fast. We brought the duckling in and gave both mom and him a lukewarm bath in the tub, then gently cleaned his head with hydrogen peroxide and put neosporin on it. We put hay down in their duck pen (to make it a little cleaner) and removed the drake. Should we keep him out in the duck pen with mom? They are the only 2 in the pen right now. He seems really stressed when we take him from momma. Anything else we need to do with the head wound?

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    I'm not sure what else you can do with the wound but keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected, but I would separate the drake from the mom and ducklings if he is being aggressive with them.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think having mom and duckling together should be fine, with the drake out of there.

Keep the little one away from flies - they lay eggs in wounds.

I would rinse a few times a day with mild saline solution or Vetericyn spray, and add vitamins to the drinking water every few days to boost healing and immune system.

4. kcbdcarnold

kcbdcarnold New Egg

Mar 31, 2016
    Thanks, we have been washing it daily- will start doing it more often. We've been bringing him in for lukewarm baths before cleansing and reapplying the neosporin. I will get some vetericyn today to use as well. He kind of looks like his lower neck is swollen on one side but I can't tell for sure. He is drinking vitamin water and seems to be eating okay.

5. kcbdcarnold

kcbdcarnold New Egg

Mar 31, 2016
    Well, my little ducklings head wound seems to be healing, but he feels very warm, running a fever? What antibiotic can I get over the counter and give to a 32 1/2 week old duckling.

6. kcbdcarnold

kcbdcarnold New Egg

Mar 31, 2016
    That should be 1/2 week old!

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am not an expert, but I think I would try Duramycin

@casportpony

8. kcbdcarnold

kcbdcarnold New Egg

Mar 31, 2016
    I'm pretty sure I saw that at the farm store, I will try it tomorrow. Thanks!

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm going through this right now with one of mine that was attacked by a chicken. For it I flushed the wound and rinsed with chlorhexidine... no antibiotics. I'm not saying that your duckling doesn't need them, just that I didn't give any to mine, and for this type of wound I don't usually give them. Exception is when they are bitten by a cat. All cat bitten birds are treated with antibiotics.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  10. kcbdcarnold

kcbdcarnold New Egg

Mar 31, 2016
    I'm going through this right now with one of mine that was attacked by a chicken. For it I flushed the wound and rinsed with chlorhexidine... no antibiotics. I'm not saying that your duckling doesn't need them, just that I didn't give any to mine, and for this type of wound I don't usually give them. Exception is when they are bitten by a cat. All cat bitten birds are treated with antibiotics.

-Kat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by