Duckling Behaviour

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Broodica, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Broodica

Broodica Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    When I come into the bathroom and get down next to the tub to say hello to my goofy friends, the 2 older ducklings (4 weeks) will come up to me and if I put my hand in, they start clattering their bills against my skin and push their bills into my palms. If I get my face too close, they try to do the same to my nose and mouth. With a lose fist, they will stick their bills in between my thumb and palm and bury their heads inside my fist. Dumb question....what the heck does this mean? Are they looking for food? I never give them treats in my hands, I always put them in their water. Just being affectionate? Trying to tell me to buzz off? Want to be picked up or taken out of the tub? I'm trying to find info on duck behaviour and there seems to be very little available. I'm so curious about these little creatures who have invaded my home and heart and what they are trying to tell me. The two younger ones (3 weeks) also are starting to come over, and they will copy the older ones, but as soon as I move my hand, they run away. The older ones persist.

Any books on the subject or web sites I could check out?

Thanks!

2. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Hi Broodica.

It is for food, every time! They forage whereever they can, whether it is inside your hand, in a mud puddle, at the bottom of the waterer, anywhere! it is just natural behaviour. you will see more of this as they grow and when they are outside.

3. Broodica

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    LOL...should have guessed. And I thought they were just trying to tell me how much they loved me..... [​IMG]

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Probably for food - yes but I also had very affectionate ducks as babies and they nuzzled me also....I'm thinking they wanted a mamma, so I put a really big stuffed duck in with them! and they snugged a lot with it!

5. Broodica

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    They have had a feather duster in there since they were a couple of days old, but now the big Rouen tends to hog it, and the 3 smaller mallards just cuddle up as best they can....I like to think they are giving me duck love....but I can also see how the little gluttons are just looking for food!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by