Duckling bill peeling?! Pics Included!

JJpuck

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 26, 2014
I have a 1 week old pekin female. She's been inside in a brooder with one other duckling that was 90 degrees, but it has been lowered a couple of degrees. The brooder has pine shavings, and they have a water dish deep enough to clear their nares. Last night when they were sitting on my lap, I noticed that the pekin was breathing a lot quicker and heavier than the other one, which eventually turned into panting. I don't think they were too hot because they were on my lap and not under their heat lamp.
Today, the same thing happened and I also noticed that her bill is peeling slightly and that (and maybe I'm imagining this) the corners of her eyes are red.

Other notes:
-they have pine shavings as bedding
-they have had vitamins/electrolytes
-they are on waterfowl starter feed
-I have attached pictures

This is her bill, it looks like it's peeling.

Here you can see a little more peeling. Also, does her eye look too red?

What's wrong with her???

Are they nervous when you are holding them? Where are they sitting in relation to the heat while in their border?

I'm almost positive they aren't nervous when I hold them. They've cuddled with me everyday, multiple times for about a week now
big_smile.png
. I'm pretty sure they've imprinted on me too, so I don't think they would be nervous when they're sitting on my lap.
They have a heating pad that they usually sleep on at night.The heat lamp's light is touching about a third of the brooder and they usually move around during the day, but prefer to sit next to their waterer which is located just out of the light's reach.

Are they nervous when you are holding them? Where are they sitting in relation to the heat while in their border?

I'm almost positive they aren't nervous when I hold them. They've cuddled with me everyday, multiple times for about a week now :D . I'm pretty sure they've imprinted on me too, so I don't think they would be nervous when they're sitting on my lap. 
They have a heating pad that they usually sleep on at night.The heat lamp's light is touching about a third of the brooder and they usually move around during the day, but prefer to sit next to their waterer which is located just out of the light's reach.  
If they aren't under their heat lamp to sleep or mostly stay away from it then it's too hot. I would either take it away and just use the heat pad or move the light further away so it isn't so hot.

But what about when they are on my lap and the pekin starts to pant? That doesn't seem like it would be happening because she's too hot.

Update: Her bill is fine now, no more peeling. Phew. As for her quick breathing, it's still happening. I never see her do it when she's in her brooder, but when they're snuggling on my lap she starts to breathe really quickly. I even have a fan blowing on us right now, and she's still breathing quickly?? I thought it might be a heart issue, but her heart rate is really normal (about 186 bpm). Does anyone have any idea why she could be doing this?

Update: Her bill is fine now, no more peeling. Phew. As for her quick breathing, it's still happening. I never see her do it when she's in her brooder, but when they're snuggling on my lap she starts to breathe really quickly. I even have a fan blowing on us right now, and she's still breathing quickly?? I thought it might be a heart issue, but her heart rate is really normal (about 186 bpm). Does anyone have any idea why she could be doing this?
Does she seem stressed when she does this? stress can make them breathe faster.

I would say that she is nervous also when I brought my goose to the vet one time she began panting and literally the nurses and Doctor said "has she been panting she could be so ill from this " and I was like " your a registered professional and you cannot tell that she panting becuase she is nervous" so yeah I think it's just nerves she should calm down soon enough

Last edited:
Hi @Miss Lydia . Sorry for the late response, I've been renovating my duck area! I'm pretty sure it isn't a stress thing. She is still panting as of now (6 week old pekin female. Still housed indoors with one other female). She does it in her brooder when she's laying down; even though the heat lamp has been off for a couple of weeks. The brooder is in my room and I even hear her panting at night.

She also has clear discharge from her nostrils a lot. They had a bath two days ago and their waterer is always full and deep enough to dunk their heads, so I don't think it's due to blocked nares. I give them electrolytes once every week, and I gave them Brewers Yeast last week and am going to put it in their water again tomorrow.

Do you have any idea what this could be and what else I could do to help her?

Back
Top Bottom