Duckling bill vibrating up my arm.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dot n'dave, Jan 20, 2010.

1. dot n'dave

dot n'dave Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    CT
    One duckling in particular tends to vibrate its bill, working at my hand then going up my arm. At first I thought it might have been affection, but today I was moving things around in their pen, and moved my hand slowly over to touch them, and all of a sudden out of the group shot out a duckling right at my hand and started doing this bill vibrating thing, almost as if it were a defense or was threatened. My wife tends to think it's only because they're looking for food. Any thoughts?[​IMG]

2. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Is it the same thing they do while messing around in the dirt? Maybe he wants to eat your arm hairs? [​IMG]

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    It's just a funny duck thing.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    My ducklings always do that. Its part affection, but when they kind of strike at you I think its more of a "ugh, who said people are smart? stupid humans!" kind thing. Not sure htough

5. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Guess I'll find out if I get some call ducks to hatch! I have not had anything but wild mallard ducklings before, and that was over 20 years ago...

6. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    I'm guessing you're talking about the dabbling motion? That separates food from not-food in water and muck; they also seem to do it to shiny surfaces (I used to wake up to ducks dabbling at my window back when I had a basement bedroom) and to their people. Probably because we bring so much food. ;D They also do a defensive thing where their entire head starts shaking, then they shoot their neck out and kind of charge blindly. There isn't always a noticeable reason behind that second one, in those cases I think they may just be bored.

7. dot n'dave

dot n'dave Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    CT
    pardygwyn- It's not the "dabbling" like when they eat. It's more like you said with the whole head doing it. And you hit the nail right on the head when you said the neck shoots out.

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    How cute! It does mean it is not afraid of you.

That is pretty rare since duck spazz out once they figure out that you are useless unless you have treats in your hand and should be treated accordingly.

9. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Heehee yep, you've got a duck who is at least comfortable around you. They usually only pull that maneuver on each other. I've had imprinted ducks do that to me when things are especially tedious and there's nowhere to go.

10. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Aww i love it when ducklings do that, kinda like searching your pockets for treats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by