Duckling bobbing head up and down. Acting like a duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bantiehen, Mar 18, 2012.

1. bantiehen

bantiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Montana
    Just making sure that nothing is wrong with my little Mallard duckling.. It keeps bobbing its head up and down... other than it its eating and drinking just fine..

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How old is the duckling?

3. bantiehen

Nov 22, 2011
    Montana
    a week old

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    An only duckling? I know when my adults start head-bobbing, they are looking for some affection. I am trying to remember if they bobbed so young.

Does she or he do that right after taking a bite of food? There is a kind of head bob that is them trying to work too large a mouthful down into their tummy.

5. bantiehen

Nov 22, 2011
    Montana
    There are three others in there with it... Another Mallard and two runners... My husband says it took some feed and then did the bobbing. I think it was trying to get to much

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If the feed is small enough and there is clean water easily available, there should not be a problem. Once I read on the forum about a duck that ate such a big piece of something that it injured its throat, which got infected. Hooboy! That is not common, so don't get too worried. My ducklings would occasionally toss quite a bit of dry food down their throats and then not get over to the waterer right away and I could see the food stuck in the top of their necks. . . I'd say, "Wasser! Trinken!" because for some inexplicable reason I use German phrases with them. . . anyway, sounds like you've got a hungry ducky.

Do they have food 24/7? That is advisable their first couple of months. Otherwise they may overeat.

7. bantiehen

Nov 22, 2011
    Montana
    yes small feed and water right there... :)

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Well, then, someone just has an appetite bigger than her gullet!

9. bantiehen

Nov 22, 2011
    Montana
    lol her eyes were a lot BIGGER lol thank you :) :) she seems to be doing fine right now... :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by