Duckling born early with yolk sac not absorbed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by new chicky 79, May 7, 2017.

1. new chicky 79

new chicky 79 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Newfoundland
    Anybody know if the yolk sac will absorb over the next little while? Or is he doomed? He was having a hard time hatching so I had to help him out but now it looks like he wasn't ready for hatching yet.[​IMG]

2. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Hi! I am here to tell you that it isn't a death sentence! Put the chick in a cup (like a tea cup) lined with moist paper towels (to keep the yolk from sticking to the container). The yolk will absorb.
    If it doesn't absorb before breaking open, please don't get upset! The next move is to treat the wound. Basically, just remember that the yolk is not a body part. It is the food for the first few days. If the yolk ruptures, the chick will need food and water right away rather than in a few days.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You assisted to early....It can take over 24 hours from the first pip to finally zip....

Assisting needs to be timed perfectly....They will pip and rest as they absorb the yolk.....

I have never experienced what your going through....Best wishes...:)

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  4. new chicky 79

May 15, 2011
    Newfoundland
    It has absorbed a lot since this morning..but it's still attached and the yolk sac seems to be getting infected..anybody have an idea on a course of action or do I just leave it alone?[​IMG]

5. MotorcycleChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Use a little antibiotic ointment without pain reliever.

6. new chicky 79

May 15, 2011
    Newfoundland
    He passed away [​IMG]Thanks for your help though @motorcyclechick

7. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry about your loss [​IMG]

But, I do think you assisted way too early, I could still see veining and such on the yolk sac, which means he still had a lot of absorbing left to do.

What you thought was him struggling to hatch was probably him just resting, and getting his lungs used to the outside air (If he had pipped), and he was still curled up, eyes weren't open.

For future reference, if he was struggling to get out and wanted to get out, and once you helped him out and he was free of the egg he would have been more alert, would give the occasional peep (or a chorus of peeps), he wouldn't necessarily just lay there likes he's dead, and his neck wouldn't still be curled like he's still in the egg. Oh well. We live and we learn.

Hope I made sense.

Good luck.

-Mustang

8. MotorcycleChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by