Duckling Born Today w/ Pink Circular shaped sac attached to abdomen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tayjamieson, Jan 11, 2019.

1. tayjamieson

tayjamieson Chirping

Jan 11, 2019
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    Hello,
    This morning at about 1:00 am I had one of my Jumbo Pekin Duckling eggs hatch. It hatched on Day 29 of incubation and it was the quickest hatch I've seen so far (I've hatched 5 previously before this). The duckling itself looked and seems strong and healthy but once it slid it's body out of the shell I saw this pink circular thing on its abdomen. It was not attached to the shell or anything, it was just on the duckling, so I attached 2 pictures for you to see it.
    I have seen this before with 1 or 2 of the ducklings I hatched a month ago and one survived and one didn't make it. I wasn't sure if I just got lucky with the duckling that survived it so I'm wondering if there is anything I can be doing to help it heal or have the best chance of surviving? Below I put the current timeline of the ducklings progress since its birth early this morning.

Birth at 1:00 am - seems strong and healthy, successfully hatched within an hour. Duckling slides itself out of shell and I notice the pink circular thing on its stomach.

2:00 am - Mixed up water with a powdered supplement intended for chicks that has electrolytes, nutrients, and probiotics and used a syringe plunger to dribble tiny droplets onto the ducklings beak to see if it would drink but it fell asleep so I decided to leave him in the incubator until morning and pray for the best. I laid him on a clean hand towel inside the incubator.

8:00 am - check on duckling and it's a little fighter!!! Still alive thank goodness!

9:00 am - take duckling out of incubator, carefully lay the duckling on my skin and cover with a hand towel and cotton t-shirt to keep it warm.

12:00 pm - duckling has been sleeping all morning, makes little sounds and moves around here and there. I have not done anything yet to treat the situation at hand, I've just been making sure to be very gentle and keep the duckling laying down safely and warm.

And now I will post this and hope for a reply soon! I really appreciate you for taking the time to read this and Thank You so much in advance for any help, advice, insight, etc. that you can offer me.

Sincerely,
    Taylor
    IMG_20190111_120229735.jpg IMG_20190111_120221619.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    WannaBeHillBilly and The Phantom like this.
  2. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
  3. tayjamieson

tayjamieson Chirping

Jan 11, 2019
    Mount Vernon, Washington

Thank You for your insight! Some people online say to clean it and cover it to protect it and let it heal on its own but I'm afraid to clean it and end up getting bacteria on it or something so I've just been holding the duckling and letting it sleep, hoping it will resolve on its own here.

Do you think I should try to give the duckling water again using the syringe plunger or is that risky? I've read online that they could potentially choke on the water when they are newborn and it could be fatal. Do you have any suggestions on care steps I take right now?

4. BarnhartChickens98

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    A newly hatched chick does not need to eat or drink for at least 24 hours, the yolk they absorbed in the can keep them for a much as 2 days.

5. BarnhartChickens98

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    as for suggestions I would keep the prolapse moist with coconut oil or vaseline, beyond that I dont know.:hugs

6. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    I think it looks like the yolk sack.

7. tayjamieson

tayjamieson Chirping

Jan 11, 2019
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    You are amazing:celebrate thank you so much for replying to me! I did not know that they don't need water for the first 24 hours, that makes me feel so much better I was thinking I was a bad duck mom. I will keep the prolapse moisturized - again that is great to know! You have been so helpful, thanks again and I hope you have a great day!

If anyone wants to throw in more advice or care steps for me - ANYTHING really, please do so! I'm a newbie to raising ducklings so I appreciate it.

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  8. tayjamieson

tayjamieson Chirping

Jan 11, 2019
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    I thought it was too but I had a duckling that didn't complete absorbing the yolk and it was still attached to the sac in the shell and this little one doesn't quite look like that. this is a circular bump on its stomach with no strings or attachment to the shell or yolk. it has gotten smaller which is a good sign I think! thank you for your reply!

The Phantom and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Oh dear! I don't know much about Ducklings except that they are CUTE!

To me it looks like an unabsorbed egg sac. It's fast approaching being like that for 24hrs?
    I would try to keep that tissue moist - coconut oil, bacitracin, plain neosporin. Place it in a small container lined with something snuggly and put her back into the incubator to keep her warm.

I would worry if it is able to be absorbed, it can turn into Omphalitis
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis.64686/

The longer it stays like that, the less chance she will survive, but I don't know of anything else you can do.

Hopefully someone like @Pyxis will chime in.

10. Table4Six

Table4Six Crossing the Road

May 22, 2012
    Agreed. Looks like it's in the wrong place to be a prolapsed vent IMO. Poor little guy, the best thing to do is wait at this point, I think there's a good chance his body will absorb it. Best wishes with your little baby. :hugs And if you have any questions, please ask.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: