Duckling born with foot/leg problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duck Bumps, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Duck Bumps

Duck Bumps New Egg

Aug 3, 2013
    My WH was born with its legs/feet tucked underneath her. Thinking of splinting. Any advice?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The splinting may be the way to go.

I would also supplement with a broad spectrum vitamin twice a week, and 100 mg of niacin per gallon of water for ten weeks. This is not a for-sure-certain suggestion, but niacin does help neurological development and leg problems in many ducklings.

I would soon let her spend a little very closely supervised time in warm (85F) water, in hopes it may relax some muscles and tendons, if that is part of the problem. She doesn't have oil on her feathers, but five minutes at a time ought not be a problem. You probably will want to dry her off well before putting her back in the clean, dry brooder.

3. Duck Bumps

Duck Bumps New Egg

Aug 3, 2013
    Thank you so much! Have taken all of your suggestions..... I will update you soon with progress report.

4. Duck Bumps

Duck Bumps New Egg

Aug 3, 2013
    Update: Forest (Gump) is doing pretty well. He actually started to walk a bit today... It was very exciting to witness. I just need to figure out how to get video on here.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yay!
    [​IMG]
    The icon between the picture and the paperclip is for videos.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  6. lisa9d

lisa9d Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    We just got call ducks and 2 of them have this same foot problem.. Trying to figure out what to do!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by