Duckling Breathing Heavily

StuporMan

Chirping
Mar 22, 2021
Hey there! I've noticed one of my ducklings has been panting pretty heavily and splaying one leg out during their time playing outside and in the evenings when I put them back in their brooder, it's starting to heat up where I live, usually in the low 80's during the day with little cloud coverage, I try to keep it mild in their brooder box so they don't overheat. They're a 3 week old pekin, no changes in grooming, appetite, or ability to move around (if anything they have more energy than ever!). They have access to water they can clear their nose out with, and there's been no discharge or unusual stool.
Their breathing becomes very fast-paced and noticeably loud, though it seems to only last for a brief time. I have liquid Baytril 10% on hand should it become needed, but I would like some advice first just in case

Last edited:
Could you take a video, upload it to a video platform like youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here?
Pretty typical example, open mouth panting without any raspy sounds. They only do this after being outside for a bit or after I put them in their brooder after cleaning in the evening if that helps

How warm is their brooder area?

Compared to other duck breeds, Pekins overheat easily even in cool temperatures. The breathing looks heat-related to me, and further backing up such a guess is the fact that there are no other apparent symptoms to indicate a respiratory infection, which would be occurring at this point.

How warm is their brooder area?

Compared to other duck breeds, Pekins overheat easily even in cool temperatures. The breathing looks heat-related to me, and further backing up such a guess is the fact that there are no other apparent symptoms to indicate a respiratory infection, which would be occurring at this point.
Their brooder is in my room (for ease of monitoring and handling) and I keep it around 70 degrees so it stays mild, couldni need to lower the temperature?

Back
Top Bottom