Duckling breed ID help/opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LittleChickSpy, Feb 14, 2015.

1. LittleChickSpy

LittleChickSpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2014
    I picked up 6 ducklings at a feed store a couplw of days ago. I chose 4 black ducklings. Are they likely cayugas? Someone told me she had a rouen duckling this dark, but these guys are solid black, and don't stand like runners, so I am left thinking they must be cayugas. I think the other 2 are probably rouen ducklings. Input?
    [​IMG]

2. LittleChickSpy

LittleChickSpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Whatever they are, they're friggin' adorable!

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Yes, I would venture to say the black ones definitely look like Cayugas. I'm not sure on the other two. They're all adorable!

5. Ixliam

Ixliam New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    Fayetteville, GA
    They look like the two I picket up at Tractor Supply. They only had two, and they were mixed in with the "mallards". I've heard TSC does get them mixed in, and I'm not sure how long they may have had them here, maybe no more than 5 days or so. But they look/act like the Cayuga chicks I've seen.

6. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I would say the black ones are cayugas but I don't know about the others. Sooooo cute!

7. ducky 13

ducky 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

The two yellow ones look exactly like the ducklings I hatched. But they were mixed breeds. The parents: the dad was a mallard drake. The mother was a Peking hen. And 1 duckling out of six looked just like the yellow ones.

8. maxsgoldens

maxsgoldens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    west Yorkshire, UK
    Cayuga's are definite. The others could be welsh harlequins

9. ducky 13

ducky 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know I've never owned cyugas

10. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    The black ones do look like cayugas. The only other breed that is solid black as ducklings are black runners but they do not seem to have the upright stance of a runner.

The other two look like they could be appleyards, though the dark feet make me think they are not pure. Golden 300s males ducklings can be colored like that and usually have dark feet so it's possible thats what they are

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by