Duckling breed identification (photos)

MommaDuck2017

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2017
I started a flock hoping for layers not realizing specific breeds serve specific purposes. The first three ducklings I bought from the feed store were definitely Pekins (maybe Jumbo's) about 14 days old now. We got 4 more the following week, they're about 6 days old now. I'm having trouble determining the breed of the newest editions. One is either a Rouen or Mallard, the other three are either Cayuga, Khaki Campbell, Black Runners, or Chocolate Runners. Is there any way to determine the breed other than just waiting until they're mature?
If anyone can tell I appreciate it!
[/IMG][/IMG]

With cayuga vs runner ---
And also khaki campbell vs runner---
The difference this young will be the way they stand...
runner ducks stand tall and looks skinny.
Cayuga and khakis stand like you think of a normal duck standing.
And the difference between rouen and mallard will be size... mallards are very small- 2 ish lbs full grown.
Rouens will grow large and fast like your pekins. The little one in the pic looks mallard. But that one make take a little bit to see if it stays smaller or not.

The chocolate one in front is a khaki cambell- see the difference. How she stands like a normal duck.
This is how a cayuga will stand as well

Sometimes they seem to stand taller than the rest of my ducklings but they don't quite look like the runner ducklings you sent photos of, although they are still under a week old so maybe that will change. I'll watch for the next couple of weeks...
The other duckling would make sense to be a Mallard as I keep commenting on how he seems to be smaller and almost growing slower than the rest. I assumed he was just a few days younger but being a Mallard is probably more accurate.
@Ducks4us

Yeah the first few days- week my runner ducklings didnt stand super tall. Now they turned 2 weeks today and they stand very tall. Mine are not show quality. Some runners dont stand quite as tall as others. But yes you will know in a couple weeks.
And yep sounds like probably a mallard then if your already seeing size diff:)
They are sure cute!

I think they very well may be khaki campbells based off of the last photo you attached @Ducks4us

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help! I mainly wanted to know so I would know if I needed to seek out specific breeds for the sake of having enough eggs but sounds like I should be okay! @Ducks4us

yep you prob will get plenty of eggs! and your welcome! keep us posted with how they grow :)
thats why i wanted khakis and runners was for the eggs. pekins are excellent layers as well.

Back
Top Bottom