1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling Breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Deerling, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    I'm not sure if there's much of a way to tell the breed this early (I think they're about four days old) but I was wondering if anyone could guess what kind of ducks these babies are. We got them at TSC today! They're pretty nervous, I hope we can get them to trust us and be buddies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure they're probably something common. Pekin? The way they run had me thinking maybe runners, but I think that was wishful thinking.

(Edit to fix spelling error)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If they are standing straight up when nervous, they might be runners. I may be wishful thinking, too, since that is what I have.

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I hope they're runners, too, but I'm thinking Pekins.

4. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    They sure are cute :) They look more like runners, my pekin didn't stand upright like that.

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'm thinking they are probably Pekin. It looks like they are standing more upright due to your hand being there. I doubt TSC would get white runners and they aren't marked like fawn and whites.

They will calm down. They've had alot going on so far in their short little lives. Cute little buggers.

6. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Do you have any pics of their normal stance? That might help! Here's a pic of my pekin standing while she was duckling.

[​IMG]
    I called her my lil Duck Nugget :)

7. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    My vote is Pekin, it looks like they are standing because the hand is there. TSC near me only sells pekin and mallards.

8. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    After doing more research I agree with most of you that they're almost surely Pekins (yay!). They were pushing up against my hand in that picture. I wasn't referring to that so much as when they do run it is much more upright that I expected. I'll try and get a picture of their normal stance today :) Thanks to everyone who weighed in! They've settled in and are already feeling much calmer.

The only other type of duckling in at TSC with them was a little blue-grey one. I wonder what she was!

9. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    blue swedish probably

10. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I'm surprised that your TSC didn't tell you the breed! I have 2 stores that I go to, and breeds are always labelled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by