Duckling Breeds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Anira, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Anira

Anira Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    I figured I'd have a better chance posting here than in the "What Breed Or Gender" section. Have a couple duck eggs in the 'bator for a neighbor (female duck was killed). It looks like only one is going to hatch, so I bought a couple buddies for it if it does hatch. Just wondering what breeds I got, if anyone can help me? The lighter color one is kind of a light milk chocolate-ish color. Cell phone doesn't really take good pics. Don't worry, the water dish is elevated so they can't drown. Haven't added the marbles to the bottom yet, just wanted to get them some water, a bit of food, and some heat first (been in the car for 4 hours, long drive to town to get them).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Anira

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    They had food and water at the store, but since they're trying to drown themselves with water after eating a bit, I've removed the food and water for a little while.

3. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    Not a good idea to withhold food and water at all from them when they're this little. They'll drink a LOT of water while they're eating. And just because. My four go through over a half a gallon a day, and they're just 10 days old.

4. Anira

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    The one was literally choking and throwing up the water. I'm not going to keep it away for hours, or even one hour. Just long enough for some of the water they already drank to digest.

5. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Try 15 mins increments with the water and food. Sometimes they get a little over zealous when they have been without during travel. I'm going to say black Swedish and a khaki Campbell.

6. Kaessa

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    I'd agree with the Black Swedish and Khaki Campbell.

7. Anira

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    Thank you!

8. Anira

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    I don't want to keep taking the food and water away from them, but they literally just keep eating and drinking until they start coughing it up. Even then they try to go back for more, but I remove it. It's just plain water and crumbles, so it's not like it tastes delicious. The water is slightly warm so they don't get chilled, even though they have the heat lamp. I've never done ducks before, but I researched all I could (even if I'm not keeping them for myself). But nowhere did it say they would kill themselves over eating/drinking. I'm too paranoid to leave the food and water in and hope they figure it out on their own.

I don't understand ducklings. And I would like to get some sleep...

9. Kaessa

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    How long are you keeping the food away from them when you remove it? At this age, they pretty much do nothing but eat, sleep, and poop. They might be so hungry/thirsty they're gorging.

10. Anira

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    Not long at all. Just every little bit while watching a few movies. They finally slowed down around 3:30 this morning and I could leave the food and water in with them. The longest they went without was for an hour while I had to go help out at work because it got busy, but I told my mother to give them their food and water every little bit when she thinks about it, even if it's every 5 minutes, but she's extremely lazy and probably didn't bother.

I've raised hundreds of little chicks, and never have I had any act like that. Not even the ones from the feed store. I do not like keeping water from them, so I would not keep it away for very long.

I did give them some water on the ride home, but the water was cold and I didn't want then to get chilled, so I didn't let them fill up on it, but they didn't go without completely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by