Duckling/Broody Help or Suggestions Needed (Pic attached)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by psittacinekane, Jul 17, 2010.

1. psittacinekane

psittacinekane Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2009
    Hey all!

I have a nest box full of Pekin ducklings, hatched by the Momma Pekin and her assistant, Ms. Muscovy.

I'm new to this but, what happens now? The problem is that neither broody will leave the nest four days after hatching. The ducklings keep falling out of the crowded nest and roaming the property. I'm also worried they're not eating and drinking properly.

Do I remove the nest box? (They're all in an enclosed coop, but the babies seem to be finding ways to escape and get lost). Both ducks are extremely aggressive, and are setting like concrete although there's nothing left to hatch.

Suggestions???

[​IMG]

2. psittacinekane

psittacinekane Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2009
    Oh, I should also state that when the ducklings get lost, neither duck seems overly concerned nor makes an effort to get them. I have to dig through underbrush to replace them in the coop.

Help!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Remove the nest box, and hopefully their mothering instinct will kick in. After four days the ducklings need to eat and drink or they will dehydrate or starve to death. If the moms don't step up, remove the ducklings and brood them or you will lose the lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by