Duckling cant move legs.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DanTduckman, Nov 16, 2017.

1. DanTduckman

DanTduckman Chirping

Nov 16, 2017
    Hi All,
    im a long time guest reader, first time join and post.
    I have a white peking duckling who has no movement in her legs. cant do anything. they're limp, like she is paralysed in both legs.
    long story short, i incubated a bunch of eggs. 2 eggs pipped, but the ducklings died trying to hatch. i could hear another 4 squeaking inside and knocking at the shell. so i helped them. (didnt want to risk loosing them)
    2 of those ducklings are happy and healthy, running, jumping etc. 1 died trying to hatch and the other took 4 days to hatch. i ended up pulling most of the egg shell away and let her do the final move out when she was ready.
    i didn't think she was going to make it, but she is getting stronger in the neck and wings. she is eating well, interacting with other ducklings well, loves attention.
    only problem is she has no movement in her legs at all. She has a mysterious lump on her back which may have something to do with it.
    i was wondering if anyone has had anything similar?
    i did a lot of reading, and some say naicin in the food/water can help. but it seems thats for ducks who have some movement but are weak.

Attached Files:

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    If you're feeding regular chick starter, then extra Niacin is needed for all ducklings up to 10-12 weeks of age...

Are the ducklings feet/legs warm or cold? Do they look like they are shriveling up? The lump/wound on her back, was it there when she hatched or did it happen after hatching? Have you tried holding her above warm water and just letting her feet into it, see if she tries to paddle?

Delayed hatch could be from any number of issues, and if the lump was there when she hatched, I would think it might be a birth defect... could have caused issues with her spine...

@casportpony any thoughts?

DanTduckman likes this.
  3. DanTduckman

DanTduckman Chirping

Nov 16, 2017
    Thankyou for your reply.
    The legs and feet feel normal temperature. Not abnormally cold or hot. They are not shrivelled, just limp like relaxed.
    The bump on her back was there when hatched, but it appears to be slightly bigger now.
    I put her in some warm water to cleN her up just today. The feet did nothing. Actually she flipped over in the water as she cant use her feet/legs for stability. If i wasnt holding her she would drown (after becoming water logged, as she cant oil the feathers properly)
    Another thing i noticed is her tail works normally. She can wiggle it the same as the other ducklings.

4. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks to me like maybe she was stuck in the shell and that bump could be a pressure sore? Maybe with time the swelling will recede and she'll gain use of her legs?

Amiga and DanTduckman like this.
  5. DanTduckman

DanTduckman Chirping

Nov 16, 2017
    I sure hope so. Ill keep the care up and see where she is at after a week.

casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.
  6. DanTduckman

DanTduckman Chirping

Nov 16, 2017
    i tried her reaction ability this morning. When she was asleep in my hand, i carefully poked the top of her feet (each foot at a separate time) with a pin. both left and right legs moved quickly.
    but she still cannot stand on her legs. the lump is still present on her back, but is less visible due to the ducky fluff growing around it.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

7. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I believe Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory and might help... best to ask @Amiga about it though...

CayugaJana likes this.
  8. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    It really is one of the best ravyn. But like you said, who knows whether it’s good for ducks.

Ravynscroft likes this.
  9. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    @Amiga has used it, and recommended it before, but I don't know how much to give... like what would be too much for a duckling... :confused:

CayugaJana likes this.
  10. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    I would think sprinkling it on their feed similar to the brewers yeast would be just fine.:confused:

I take some everyday to keep inflammation from allergies at bay- 2 gel capsules. I can definitely tell it’s the best anti inflammatory I take.

Ravynscroft likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: