Duckling can't peep!

Erica.cat

Hatching
Jun 3, 2017
I have a 3 week old duckling that all of a sudden can't peep. He tries but nothing comes out but a very weak raspy peep. Yesterday it almost felt like something was in his lung. Like water. I could feel a squeaky noise when I held him when he tried to peep. Today he tries to peep and nothing comes out. Other than that he appears to be fine, eats, drinks and acts normal. What could be wrong with him and what can I do to help him? Thank you.

Erica.cat

Hatching
Jun 3, 2017
I'm not sure if it's a boy or girl. I call them him out of habit. Up intill 2 days ago "it" peep high pitch like the other duckling you can hear in the background

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
The video wouldn't play for me. Please post on the "duck threads." I have heard that female ducks quack loudly and that males have a hoarse, raspy voice but don't know what age till they do so.

PatrickRoo

Songster
Jun 2, 2017
I have a 3 week old duckling that all of a sudden can't peep. He tries but nothing comes out but a very weak raspy peep. Yesterday it almost felt like something was in his lung. Like water. I could feel a squeaky noise when I held him when he tried to peep. Today he tries to peep and nothing comes out. Other than that he appears to be fine, eats, drinks and acts normal. What could be wrong with him and what can I do to help him? Thank you.
Your duckling could be a male. I've heard of people saying their male duck wouldn't quack to save its own life. Had your duck been quacking or peeping a lot before his voice had gone raspy? It's common for males to stop quacking.

Last edited:

Erica.cat

Hatching
Jun 3, 2017
The duckling peeped higher pitch than my other duckling just intill the other day and yes they peep a lot. It just all of a sudden lost its voice 2 days ago.

Top Bottom