Duckling can't stand, nor walk!? *PICS*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thatduckguyy, Aug 17, 2011.

1. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    He is 2 days old and all the others can stand and walk. He can stand but he falls like 2 seconds later he falls, it looks like one of his feet slip underneath the other then he falls on his side.
    Here is a video and some pictures.
    My mom was thinking maybe its wing, because wings help banlance and one looks bigger than the other. So heres a pic:
    [​IMG]
    Its a bit hard to see but he has a piece of his wing missing we think. Maybe deformed.

Here hes lying on his side with his feet out
    [​IMG]

if it is a wing problem could I fix it?
    and its definately not splayed legs take a look at this video:

I could really use some help so if you have ANY suggestions let me know!

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    What ever route you choose, know that the ducks brain needs time and practice to learn how to adjust to any changes.

So if you deside to add weight to the smaller wing, give the duck time to adjust to using it. I've not done this, but is an idea. make a prosthesis to make the small side mimic the other larger side. You can use the other wing to hold it in place. Use cushioning material to prevent chaffing under the good wing. Watch for sores and similar damage to the skin. Prevention is key here.

Sorry this is more theory than actual experience; but I hope some pieces of info are helpful. GL

3. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] We had a chick that did that. I made a splint for it's leg out of a tongue depressor and plastic first aid tape. I forced the foot to go straight then taped the splint under the foot. You will be surprised how quickly they learn to walk with the splint.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by