1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling can't stand or walk

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ekop31100, Feb 8, 2014.

1. ekop31100

ekop31100 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2014
    Hi all, I knew to raising ducklings! I have two 2 1/2 week old khaki campbell ducklings. One of them is smaller than the other. The one that is bigger looks like she is having leg problems :(. I noticed from the time that I got her that she liked to sleep and sit with her right leg just sitting out, and so does the other one. But I don't think that has to do with this, but it might so I thought I would put it out there. I also noticed yesterday that I haven't been seeing her waddling around her brooder like the other one. She is still eating and drinking normally, and I do put pure niacin in their water and brewers yeast in their food, so I don't think that it is a nutritional deficiency.
    Yesterday I was giving her a bath and letting her swim around in the bathtub, and she wasn't using her right leg, so I played around with it and bent it and it didn't seem to be hurting her. I put her down on the floor to see if she would walk around so I could see if she had a limp, but she wouldn't budge. I nudged her and she tried to walk, but she jut fell over and sat down.
    I don't want to go to a vet, but I need your help because I'm worried about my baby! :(

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

4. herechilychiky

herechilychiky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Central Fla.
    Welcome to BYC! I hope everything is ok with your baby.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! TwoCrows gave you good advice, good luck with your duckling, hope it is OK.

6. catcrazy632

catcrazy632 Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe she has a dislocated joint or maybe one of the people who handled your ducky before you accidentally hurt her leg like broke it or something . Is her legs turn at all ? Our duck lays down sometimes like her legs hurt and her legs are kind of turned so she has problems walking. I think it was because she was dropped a couple times when she was a baby. Ducks have very fragile bones when they are young and if they get dropped or something happens to them their legs can get injured more than if they were a few months older. You should probably not put your duckies in the water while they are young I read that is bad for them too, what you can do is fill you bin of bath tub they swim in only enough so they can lay down in it and make sure they can still stand in it because if you let them swim without being able to stand up it is hard on them when they are young. We used to fill our bath tub about 1/2 and inch to 1 inch but if your ducky is having trouble with her leg I recommend that you keep her out of the water unless you have to clean her off or something. I really think it is a leg injury like she was dropped and it broke or sprained . It also could be a leg problem she was born with so she could be that way all her life but if you think she has just started having problems then I'm thinking leg injury. Please let me know if you have any questions or if you could tell me more about your duck .

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm sorry I know nothing about ducks. If you go to "Other Backyard poultry" forum there will be threads on ducks. Duck people could best advise you. Animals frequently get problems that cannot be fixed at home. This may be one of them.

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have a new Duck member joining the flock [​IMG]

Khaki Campbell's are the best ducks to have around [​IMG]

You need to be feeding high protean feed so you need to catch up
    so cook up an egg and feed it to your ducks for a week and see if
    this makes a difference ..... [​IMG]

Where did you acquire your Ducks from [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by