Duckling can't walk, How do I rehab them?

ViniciusD

Hatching
Aug 8, 2019
So I recently hatched 6 ducklings and for the first 3 weeks they've been fine, however recently one of the ducklings hasn't been able to walk. Her legs are splaying out slightly and she is otherwise healthy and eating/drinking as normal. When she wants to move around she'll sort of shove herself by pushing off with one of her legs but otherwise she doesn't move much.

She has also been shivering a lot lately despite not being cold.

So far I've been giving her brewer's yeast since a lot of things I read said it was a niacin deficiency. My concern is its been almost a week and she's not any better. Does anyone have some suggestions on the steps I can take to help her walk again? Or is she just not going to be able to do so?

Here are some pictures of her legs.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/522183573491548172/609181848869797910/20190808_182430.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/522183573491548172/609181850124025926/20190808_182433.jpg

Start with adding Bcomplex. This is one kind. Says for cows but can be used in duck water. Hopefully @Miss Lydia or @casportpony can give you more info in the morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 7
Add 1 ml to a litre of drinking water for them until you get more specific info. I have a duck with a neurological issue who has made HUGE strides just being treated with B complex and it is a good idea in general for all ducklings!:)

Add 1 ml to a litre of drinking water for them until you get more specific info. I have a duck with a neurological issue who has made HUGE strides just being treated with B complex and it is a good idea in general for all ducklings!:)
Thank you! I'll get that asap and start treating her with it

I don't put it in the water. Dilutes it too much and most of it is wasted. I put it over some treats that you know they will eat right up so that they get the whole amount right away. Treats like meal worms, tomatoes, watermelon, peas, etc.

You might need more help with that too like a hobble or something. Miss Lydia and casportpony have already been tagged and they are the best. I'm sure they will be on soon to help but definitely get the B-complex started!

I don't put it in the water. Dilutes it too much and most of it is wasted. I put it over some treats that you know they will eat right up so that they get the whole amount right away. Treats like meal worms, tomatoes, watermelon, peas, etc.

You might need more help with that too like a hobble or something. Miss Lydia and casportpony have already been tagged and they are the best. I'm sure they will be on soon to help but definitely get the B-complex started!
I wondered about that but wasn't sure treats were ok at 3 weeks. I have given directly by oral syringe too per the gurus here lol.

How is lol ducky doing this morning??

I made a hobble for my injured White Layer duckling out of two zip-ties, a piece of gift-wrap-band and duct-tape:
full

With that on both legs, she started to put more and more weight on the injured leg and today she is almost back to normal, this is a picture of her standing. Her right leg is the injured one.
full

Also i gave her daily baths (30 minutes) together with one or two friends, so she wouldn't be so scared. Have a look into the daisy-album

I wondered about that but wasn't sure treats were ok at 3 weeks. I have given directly by oral syringe too per the gurus here lol.

How is lol ducky doing this morning??
She's good, I got the B complex and gave it to her with some peas which she adores. Currently getting the things I need to make a hobble for her to start fixing her legs. Thank you all so much by the way!

Back
Top Bottom