Duckling can't walk or stand

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ekop31100, Feb 8, 2014.

1. ekop31100

ekop31100 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2014
    Hi all, I knew to raising ducklings! I have two 2 1/2 week old khaki campbell ducklings. One of them is smaller than the other. The one that is bigger looks like she is having leg problems :(. I noticed from the time that I got her that she liked to sleep and sit with her right leg just sitting out, and so does the other one. But I don't think that has to do with this, but it might so I thought I would put it out there. I also noticed yesterday that I haven't been seeing her waddling around her brooder like the other one. She is still eating and drinking normally, and I do put pure niacin in their water and brewers yeast in their food, so I don't think that it is a nutritional deficiency.
    Yesterday I was giving her a bath and letting her swim around in the bathtub, and she wasn't using her right leg, so I played around with it and bent it and it didn't seem to be hurting her. I put her down on the floor to see if she would walk around so I could see if she had a limp, but she wouldn't budge. I nudged her and she tried to walk, but she jut fell over and sat down.
    I don't want to go to a vet, but I need your help because I'm worried about my baby! :(

2. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sorry I did not see this earlier.

Yes, it may be spraddle leg, a.k.a. splay leg. Storey's Guide recommends making a little hobble, a soft wrap that goes loosely around each leg and holds them the proper distance apart.

Something else it may be is slipped tendon. I think thiamine may be helpful for that. Duckyfromoz has posted about that. Let me see what I can find.

Well, see if this helps

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704249/squeaker-the-call-ducklings-leg-problem

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  4. ekop31100

Feb 8, 2014
    I kept them on hay for the first week, but now they are on sand.

5. ekop31100

Feb 8, 2014
    I was reading more online today and decided to try and give her more excersize. It seems like with encouragement she can walk on a surface like concrete but when I put her on the grass she seems to step on her own feet and face plant :lol:

6. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    There are some instructions on doing Physical Therapy that may be helpful on the Poultry Podiatry page on the site linked in my sig below.
    Best wishes! [​IMG]

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Perhaps some closely supervised time in a tub of warm water deep enough to float in would help her exercise and get some circulation going in her little legs. My ducks love, love swim time.

8. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

This happens to my male muscovy ducklings all the time, very gently do leg excersises pul the leg till it's extended then back again in a vertical circle pattern (like riding a bike), let it swim a lot, this strengthens legs muscles, also talk to it gently and really bond , get it to follow you and you'll eventually see improvement

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by