Duckling can't walk

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lady507, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Lady507

Lady507 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2016
    My Coop
    I've been raising 9 ducklings. Well 2 weeks ago one of the ducklings just abruptly stopped walking.It was perfectly fine one day and the next it couldn't stand. It couldn't bend its foot straight and it would crawl.Ever since then I've looked all over the internet and can't find a solution. I bought niacin pills and added it to the water. It didn't really do anything. It did get better and now it can almost stand. What worries me now is that its walking with one of its foot twisted to the side towards belly. he is standing with his foot to the side. He still can't put his legs straight up and I'm worried about him. Can anyone give some advice in this topic. I want whats best for this duckling and i hope one of you can help me. I've tried to help him and i don't know what else to do.[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Lady507 Welcome to BYC

Did you put 125 megs of Niacin into the gallon of water and mix it real well? It has to be plain niacin too not time released or flush free. I know your new and not sure ho many posts you have to have before you can post pictures but pictures of this lil ones leg and foot would really help us. The niacin has to be used for the first 10 weeks. Maybe hobbling the lil one would help keep the leg and foot in proper alignment. I'll get you a link that will explain.

Keep reading till you come to hobbles there is great info on this sight.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    2 people like this.
  3. Lady507

Mar 8, 2016
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    hello, thank so much for answering. I am really grateful and actually joined this website half an hour ago. [​IMG]
    So I was able to take a picture and in the picture you see the foot twisted. Its not broken as he can move it normally but when he tries to walk he puts it in that position. He is able to open the webbed part and can plant it normally when he lays down. It worries me because if he gets used to this then it would be hard to get him to walk normally. You were right and the pills were they are time released. so i need to get normal ones right? Is it a big difference between the time released and the normal ones? Thank you so much for helping me and my little duckling.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think some kind of foot brace might help. I looked it up, and the chemical formula for the timed-release niacin is actually different from plain niacin. You can find that on Wikipedia.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Lady507 make him a shoe, take a piece of heavy card board cut in the shape of his web then wrap some kind of tape around it to keep it from getting wet , then lay the foot on top and wrap with vet wrap since it sticks to itself instead of his skin make sure not to wrap to tight and cut off circulation you may have to do this a week or more to get him to use the foot properly you can also use plastic to make the shoe again it needs to be wrapped to prevent the duckling getting cut but an old cool whip container or butter container will work. You can use plain niacin or Brewers yeast human grade or nutritional yeast. 1Tab to 1 cup of feed.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    3 people like this.
  6. Lady507

Mar 8, 2016
    My Coop
    Thank you all for answering. I would certainly make the brace for its leg as @Miss Lydia said and get the new niacin regular pills. I cant wait for my duckling to get better. Thank you all for the advice.

1 person likes this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please keep us updated on your little one. [​IMG]

8. Lady507

Mar 8, 2016
    My Coop
    I'll keep you all updated on the duckling. Thank you all so much for your help you are all the best![​IMG]

9. Lady507

Mar 8, 2016
    My Coop
    Hello, I have great news! :lol: the ducking is now walking normal and seems to be getting better! Thank you all for such great advice, I don't know what I would have done without you all!:celebrate

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Awesome!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by