Duckling care confirmation....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckyDoodles, Apr 4, 2018.

1. DuckyDoodles

DuckyDoodles No Idea What The Duck I’m Doing ;)

Feb 11, 2018
    Indiana
    They’ve finally arrived and I honestly feel more inept than I did the day I brought my daughter home from the hospital. I’ve gotten what I *believe* is everything I need but I desperately need someone’s affirmation that I’ve got it all (specifically nutrient/niacin intake). I’ll post pics of supplies to save on typing descriptions.

I’ve got poultry/duckling friendly feed crumbles with 20% protein.

I’ve got vitamin/electrolyte supplements.

I’ve got bedding.

I’ve got 24/7 water and feed available.

I’ve got a heat lamp on one side of the brooder, allowing a cooler/shaded half, with a thermometer reading 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

I held them and introduced us humans once they got here but I’ve otherwise been leaving them alone (hands off) so as to not add any additional stress to their recent trip.

I want to make sure I’m doing it right. I’m mostly concerned with ensuring they have the niacin needed for their growth. I was unable to find niacin at the local Walmart, Rural King or Tractor Supply but I also can, if recommended, head to my local CVS to look for some. I looked on Amazon (my preferred method of shopping lol) and all of the niacin were flush free which, to my understanding, is not what was preferred.

I’ve read Metzer farms’ niacin info, various posts here on BYC and elsewhere, and I’m not fully clear on how much/often they need niacin supplements (goes into science/math/etc. units of measurement and I’m not that sorta gal). Is keeping their waterer filled with electrolytes (that has the niacin in it; see pics) enough for their needs? Or Do I only need to give them one gallon a week of electrolytes? And I know ACV is largely recommended for ducks/chickens but I’ve (admittedly) never given it to my adult Pekins so I would have no idea on necessity/frequency of ACV for ducklings.

They arrived this morning and in their waterer right now is one gallon of the Sav-A-Chick electrolytes water. They currently have the Purina Flock Raiser crumbles in their feeder.

Attaching pics of food and vitamin/electrolytes as well as a cute video of the girls’ introduction to my husbands’ massive hands’ (no joke, his hands wrap all the way around my grown female Pekins... it’s ridiculous LOL).

Attached Files:

Raenh likes this.
  2. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    You definitely have everything you need. You can keep up with the vitamins in the water until they are fully feathered if you like. Then you can put it in their water every now and again. You look like a pro. I would check in every now and again to make sure your shipped ducklings are active. I’ve had some that started sitting all the time and acting tired. So just be sure watch for them being lethargic. I don’t think you need anything else. They look pampered already!

New2DuckyDoodles likes this.
  3. DuckyDoodles

Feb 11, 2018
    Indiana

Thanks so much! That eases my mind (about the vitamins/niacin) because while I was willing to get separate niacin to give them, I was sort of hoping they’d be fully cared for by the water supplements because lord knows I don’t need anything else to do at this point lol

It’s so funny that you mention yours had moments of lethargy because I was getting ready to snap a photo to reflect that their official first group nap is occurring at 10:10am. Otherwise they’ve been running around doing everything, in to everything, non-stop. Had to ruin that brief reprieve because one is sleeping in the little nook of their waterer and I all but freaked realizing it’s sleeping face down in the water :th

And thank you for clearing up the water/vitamin intake because I most certainly can do that!

Definitely going to be watching for any behavior changes. For their health... well..: that and I’m a dweeb, I’m cuddled up on the floor next to the tote where I’m gonna snooze for a bit. I’m scared of them drowning (clearly they’re not the brightest nappers yet :idunno.

Attached Files:

CayugaJana and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    I panicked the first time I saw mine sleeping. Their little necks were all twisted up and laying forward. I thought they were dead! But they were napping. Lol.

My weak ones would sit with their necks all squished in and eyes squinted. So there was no mistaking they didn’t feel good. So yours sound just perfect! And if by chance you find you need niacin in the future, just ask. I know we can help you find it at some of those stores you listed.

Raenh and New2DuckyDoodles like this.
  5. DuckyDoodles

Feb 11, 2018
    Indiana
    Most definitely! Because as it was, I was going to hit you guys up to try and determine what, if any, difference there was between Niacin and B3. According to the internet, they’re the same thing and you know the internet is never wrong ::eyeroll:: So I was going to consult you guys haha :)

And yeah, I’ve noticed that these babies are not delicate like their grownup selves will be. They fall asleep completely at random and it isn’t until they fall over that you realize they went from swallowing their food/water (or whatever other activity) to instant narcolepsy! And since I have a medical condition very much like narcolepsy, and have a billion times times over fallen asleep just like these guys, I feel even more kindred spirit to these guys.

Though, like you mention, the positions they fall into when they’re sleeping makes them look dead and that’s terrifying. I’m glad they don’t sleep in these positions as adults because I don’t think I would be able to withstand 10 years (ish) of heart attacks like this.

CayugaJana likes this.
  6. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    What feed are you feeding? I am using purina flock raiser and contacted them regarding the amount of niacin. They have me the number (which I can find in my email) and said that it was plenty for ducklings. However, on here I have read batches can be different so I am adding a little extra niacin. It was hard to find. I think I am going to order brewers yeast and just sprinkle it on the food as it seems a more natural way to get it to them.
    I was in your place 3 weeks ago. Now, I feel like I worried for no reason. I am pretty much hands off as I work and they have to be on their own. The older they got they have now come around to knowing me and not running away as much. They eat dried mealworms out of my hand and look forward to me refilling their water and food.
    What type of ducks did you get?

CayugaJana and New2DuckyDoodles like this.
  7. DuckyDoodles

Feb 11, 2018
    Indiana
    I too have the Purina Flock Raiser and since their arrival this morning, that’s what I’ve had in their feeder. I’m actually glad to hear that they said they have the niacin needs already covered; I’d rather continue to give them the electrolytes and vitamins as an added precaution than as a necessity because the feed wasn’t inherently covering it.

These guys won’t be indoor/pet ducks as much as they’re homestead companions and will be living standard ducky arrangements. I just want them to not be hand shy or avoid us. But I am also not trying to smother them with my love. So they’ll get snuggles while they’re indoors with us/rearing but then it’ll be duck life as usual once they’re integrated. I would love/my goal is, that if I’m out in the garden and one of them is around, they’ll have no qualms about coming and sitting beside me ❤️

Soon2BChixMom likes this.
  8. Soon2BChixMom

Jan 8, 2017
    Here is the email:
    Thanks for your inquiry and for choosing Purina feed. Purina Flock Raiser has 55 ppm niacin. You will not need to supplement additional niacin, the product is formulated to meet the needs of ducklings. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

9. Soon2BChixMom

Jan 8, 2017
    I want my ducks to be the same - homestead companions. I have a thread going called, meet my new muscovy ducklings, if you want to read through it. Lots of ducky pics though! Lol

10. GracieJ

GracieJ Songster

Feb 16, 2018
    Wales, UK
    You have everything you need! You prepped so well, they are adorable! They will also grow so quick and it's so lovely to see them turning into youngsters and developing their own personalities and traits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: