Duckling Care

sowellj

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
I was the home room mom who brought the duck eggs in for the class and since the two have hatched my husband and daughter would like to try and keep them. I have a bunch of questions. I have the Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks but I still have a few items I am not clear on.

When can ducklings start having lettuce etc? (They are on starter now)
Do they need grit when started on these?
When can they be housed on an outside screened porch? (In a pen) North Florida

We live in a neighborhood and have a creek that goes to the river behind our house. I know you can't let them loose there but can I keep them in our yard when they get older. The picutures show the backyard. You can't see it in the picture but the fence has a three foot or a little higher mesh around it to keep in our little dog. We do have hawks, owls and some racoons there are about 100 feet of wetland area behind the fence. Will they mess with the adult ducks during the day? I would have something to put them in at night. Sorry about the long post.

42115_watson_179.jpg
42115_watson_177.jpg
42115_watson_178.jpg
42115_watson_180.jpg

I called a feed store and they said ducks don't need grit. Is that true?

In a controlled environment (your yard) and being fed only a processed pellet or crumble, ducks don't 'need' grit. If you provide them with grain in addition to their processed diet, grit certainly wouldn't hurt them.
Oyster shell is beneficial to them, both male and female, and is 'digestible.' It breaks down and provides some minerals and calcium.
If your duck had access to the stream and wooded area behind the fencing, they wouldn't need grit at all as they would be able to pick and choose what they want to eat.
Speaking of that, you will be amazed how they will, for lack of a better word, destroy your lovely manicured yard. They love to eat plants and green and will dig with their beaks especially in loose soil or after a good rain.
As a side note, my ducks are very aware of the stream on my property and I allow them to do there daily where they spend the day and return in the late afternoon/evening and put themselves in the barn. You would be surprised how ducks know what to do if given the chance. Don't rule out the possibilities.

Thank you for your response. When they are still kept inside and given lettuce will they need grit? You think that if they were let out of the yard they would come back? I also worried about them getting in the neighbor's yard. Will 2 ducks cause alot of damage? We really only have grass in the yard.

Lettuce will pose no problem for them, whatsoever. If you are going to feed something of that nature, kale, collards or turnip greens would be much more nutritious than lettuce.
If you were considering letting them go to the stream, keep them in the yard for a period of time so they know where they live and where they sleep and eat. There is a good chance that they will find the stream and then return home later. Of course, I would never want to be the one to guarantee that they will, it's just that ducks are creatures of habit and know how to get home if they get themselves to the stream.
As far as "damage" goes, you have to decide how much you are willing to overlook. Ducks are dirty. There, I said it! They love to dig and make mud water with what they dig. They are not just going to be lawn ornaments that do nothing all day. They have a plan and they want to have fun doing it.
Even if you don't allow them to go to the stream, they should have, at least, a small child's wading pool in order to clean themselves and paddle around. Ducks without water do not stay clean and they don't really enjoy life.
I think if I had to bottom line this for you, if you are fastidious and cannot have a bit of upset in your yard and garden, ducks may not be the best choice for you. I won't even get into the poop issues!

Well you only have two ducks and a very big yard. Yes, there will be duck poop, but you're not going to see the damage that some of us with smaller yards/pens and larger flocks see. Not even close. I would worry a little about the dog, and wouldn't trust the dog around the ducks alone for quite a while.

Nettie has compiled the The ULTIMATE list of DUCK Treats and Supplements...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=242460

She and Joe have also have a website about the culinary journey of their two pet ducks. It's a great read!
http://www.indoorducks.com/

They are on facebook as well.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Indoor-Ducks/159158993212

I think you will love having your two new friends.
big_smile.png

These two little guys are barely 4 days old but they keep chirping and running around wild in their brooder bin. It is hot out today so we took them out to the patio. They were running all around. They kept playing with their waterer so I put a lid out with water in it and they went crazy in it. I only let them play for about 15" then I dried them off and put them back inside in their bin.
Is it ok for them to splash around as long as they don't get chilled?
At this age how long can they run around outside their brooder?

42115_watson_205.jpg

42115_watson_203.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom