Duckling crinkling noise when breathing

finlay990

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2021
Hi all,

I was under the impression ducks need to be able to submerge their nostrils underwater so they can flush them out so I dipped my ducklings bills into their waterer past their nostrils to make sure it was deep enough. Anyway after that I freaked myself out I might of harmed them so I went and listened to their breathing and one has a crinkling noise when breathing. Not sure if it started before or after me dipping their bills but I hadn’t listened to their breathing before that so it could’ve been. Their sneezing mainly when eating and drinking but not often other than that. They’re eating, drinking, sleeping, pooping, playing normally. I’ve attached a vid of them 🥰 please help I’m a first time duck owner and I love them so much. Three days old

They should have enough water to be able to clean their bills out, but you can't force that. It can really hurt and possibly drown them. Especially at only 3ish days old, they need to be limited to a little bit of ( warm! ) water and not a whole bunch. It was probably because of the water in their nostrils making a weird noise. :)

Back
Top Bottom