Duckling dead ?! water in its nose??

cat1994

Songster
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Southeast MO
Call duckling, like 22 days old, small lil guy
Was fine and bathing, then I moved it to a new pen and it started drinking a lot and water seemed to be coming out of its nose
I moved it and then less than 10 min later it was dead
the other ducklings from either pen this one was in are doing just fine
Nothing but drinking a lot after I moved it and it seemed like water was coming out of his nose
The duckling was taking a bath I picked it up and moved it a few feet to another pen then it started drinking a lot
It was fine before just acting like all the other ducklings in it pen
It was in a larger outdoor brooder with larger ducklings then I moved it into an indoor smaller brooder with smaller ducklings and next thing I know its dead

I have no clue what happed?! It was fine one second bathing in the water and then I move it from one pen to another, look in on it a few times... come back and its dead!? I think I noticed a lil water coming out of its nose… does this mean something? It was taking a bath right before I picked it up and moved it… then it seemed like it started drinking a lot and shaking its head and such? Did I hurt it by picking it up to move it so soon after its bath? It was alive and seemed well but know its just dead... I’ve never had this happen before…

Last edited:
If everyone else is okay, it may just be something internal was not right.

But it could be something that happened that maybe you did not notice.

What is the temperature in the brooders?

I wonder if it could have aspirated water down into it's lungs. so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

I was thinking... maybe it got water in its lungs from me picking it up or something and drowned… I don’t know… this has never happened in the four years I’ve had ducks, three of those years breeding Calls. It was playing and swimming around with the other ducklings in its shallow water bowl, getting in and out and splashing just fine. I left them for a time… then I decided to move the duckling from that pen to another with newly hatched ducklings, hoping the older duckling could show the new ones how to drink and eat. It was only a few feet away… I just picked it up and held it in my hands; put it down in the other pen with the new ducklings. I watched them for a while, coming back to look in on them to make sure that the older one wasn’t hurting the new babies… it seemed to be drinking a lot once I put it down and shaking its head… but when I came back a few times it was eating and the new ducklings were learning to do the same, next it was laying down with the babies and they were all dozing off… I thought it was so cute to see them getting along so well... next thing I know it’s dead

I was thinking... maybe it got water in its lungs from me picking it up or something and drowned… I don’t know… this has never happened in the four years I’ve had ducks, three of those years breeding Calls. It was playing and swimming around with the other ducklings in its shallow water bowl, getting in and out and splashing just fine. I left them for a time… then I decided to move the duckling from that pen to another with newly hatched ducklings, hoping the older duckling could show the new ones how to drink and eat. It was only a few feet away… I just picked it up and held it in my hands; put it down in the other pen with the new ducklings. I watched them for a while, coming back to look in on them to make sure that the older one wasn’t hurting the new babies… it seemed to be drinking a lot once I put it down and shaking its head… but when I came back a few times it was eating and the new ducklings were learning to do the same, next it was laying down with the babies and they were all dozing off… I thought it was so cute to see them getting along so well... next thing I know it’s dead
The only way you'd know for sure would be to do a necropsy. I'm so sorry I know your heart broken.

I’m just shocked by how sudden it was… it seemed to be doing just fine and the next time I look in on it its dead... the fact that I have no idea what went wrong just makes it worse.

Back
Top Bottom