duckling didn't grow up

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cityfarmer12, Mar 19, 2015.

1. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    this happened a few years back, but the recent arrival of 10 new ducklings made me think about it. I got 4 duckling from efowl. they all came in alive, but one the top of his beak was bent upward. He had to breath through his mouth, and had an unquenchable hunger. he lived for about 5 months, but never grew up. while his sisters were mostly feathered out, he still looked the same as the day we got him. he finally drowned when we went on a camping trip. has anyone else had this happen? does anyone know what caused it?

2. Rooster14250

Rooster14250 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    It might have just been a genetic mishap. It could be something like crooked jaw in goats.

3. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Just out of curiosity, was it crested?

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    or the miss treatment of the ducklings by efowl workers

5. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    As much as I hate efowl, this one does sound like a legit genetic abnormality. Poor guy. :/

6. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Ik

7. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    yeah, i though genetic mishap too...just wondering about others opinions :)
    he wasn't a crested, he was a Cayuga. i have heard they have more problem...i hope my new little baby is ok, i got 1 crested in the last order.
    i won't order from efowl again...in 2 orders from them the duckling were skittish, scared, and even after a lot of taming were still a little crazy. Metzer farms ducklings are all calm and really sweet...i've learn my lesson, lol :)
    yeah, we all fell in love with him, and it was sad when he died :(

8. Amykins

May 11, 2013

Yeah, stay faaaaar away from efowl. None of us have ever had a good experience through them, they simply don't care about the well-being of their ducks at all. I also wonder if they're really badly inbred, since I know they offer some pretty rare colors I doubt they have any fresh blood coming into their lines. So I'm not surprised they seem to have some mental problems. They're the bird version of a puppy mill, and I wish someone had the power to stop them. :/

I'm hoping your other little guy grows up to be nice and healthy! I know what it's like to lose a little baby fluffbutt after you've already bonded, it just rips your heart right out. I'm so sorry, CF. Just keep an eye on the crested, sometimes they have developmental problems, sometimes they don't. Just look at Tevye, he's the coolest duck around and he's fit as a fiddle! (seriously, do a forum search and be amazed at the awesomeness that is Tevye the crested Pekin)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  9. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    yeah, me too...they really don't care.

Thanks!! i know, it is horrible, especially with the ducks. chickens are farm animals that provide us food, but ducks are pets that have the added benefit of eggs :p I will keep an eye on him...he is about a week old right now and looking good!! I know! Tevye is awesome! he is actually the reason i went ahead an got a crested despite the more common issues...he is so cool!! his owners actually pointed me in metzer farms direction, and so far i am very happy with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by