Duckling Died--PURPLE BILL--Can anyone help me figure out why?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Free N Equal, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Free N Equal

Free N Equal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2009
    We have had six pekin ducks for a few weeks now. All six seemed to be fine--excepting the one. S/he acted fine all the time, but her beak has always been a dark purple color.

This morning, she started acting strangely--walking off-balance, falling over, et c. Within ten minutes, she started shaking. I don't mean a small shiver, I mean REALLY shaking, her mouth opening and closing, then she would stretch out, and I thought s/he was dead, but would then start shaking again.

This happened about three times before she actually died. I was holding her, and her heart beat slowed, then finally stopped.

We're all very saddened by this, especially my two-year old sister whose duck this was. She's heart-broken at the loss of "Cousin Ribby." (We don't watch TV, and my sister took a huge part in caring for this particular duck).

Anyway, I mostly want to know if anyone knows what this could have been. My guess is some sort of heart problem, and her body out-grew her heart's ability to keep up with it. Why was her bill always such a dark purple color?

The rest of the ducks seem fine, all fluffy yellow with their bright, orange beaks.

I don't think this is contagious, but what could it have been? Could the other ducks be in any danger?

Thank you for any help.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    That is odd, sorry i'm no help.

3. Free N Equal

Nov 2, 2009
    Thank you anyway.

Does anyone know where I could start to try and figure out what happened here?

Any help is appreciated.

4. PH1997

PH1997 New Egg

Feb 26, 2010
    sounds like snake bite.

5. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    I wonder if it was a cardiac issue, something she was born with. I am thinking perhaps the purple bill is the same as blue lips in people with bad circulation, where the color means their blood is not carrying enough oxygen. Were her feet and toes purple as well? In pet rats purple/bluish nose, toes, and tail tip would suggest heart failure. Perhaps it is the same for ducks.

6. Free N Equal

Nov 2, 2009
    PH1997:

It's been purple since we got her (about 4 weeks ago). She's kept in a secure place with the other ducks...snake bite is pretty much impossible.

toadbriar:

I was thinking along the same lines. Her feet and toes weren't purple, but they weren't the "right" color, either (the other ducks have more orange-ish feet). Her feet were pale in comparison to the other ducklings.

Is this just some sort of defect, then? Was there anything we could have done?

I don't think it's contagious. The other ducks seem perfectly fine--but the symptoms came on so quickly, and she was gone so fast. If this is something I need to worry about, what sort of precautions should I take?

Thank you for your help.

7. DrakeErryday

DrakeErryday New Egg

Apr 18, 2015
    First of all I'd like to say I'm new to the boards! Also I'm not trying to revive a dead post or anything; but this is one of the the top results I found when I looked up my ducks symptoms. I bought three ducks about 3 weeks ago up until a few days ago one of them was doing great. Then he started walking funny and then eventually one night couldn't move at all and was just mouth breathing, not eating and visibly shaking. All very bad signs in any animal, fortunately my wife and I are pretty knowledgeable with animals and have quiet an extensive background in supplements. So we decided to give him L-Arginine, CoQ10 and Brewers Yeast. The reason why the L-Arginine and CoQ10 is I believed it was cardiovascular related as well and they are both synergistic for heart health and the absorption of the Niacin in the Brewers Yeast. He is now walking and again and now has normal coloration in his beak which was originally purple from the beginning.

Here's an article also supporting the use of L-Arginine in ducks it basically increase vascularity and fixes poor circulation increasing the efficiency and absorption of the nutrients of the food! I have also started researching HMB as well as it is used in livestock and helps cancer patients gain muscle mass without increase in consumption.

Will keep you updated on how Quackers is doing!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2015
  8. lilybug524

lilybug524 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    DrakeErryday thank you for posting this. We just got our first ducklings yesterday and they are 5 days old now. One has a purple beak and the other one doesn't so i was trying to find out what it means. Should i start giving the supplements now or wait and see if it starts having problems?[​IMG]

9. DrakeErryday

DrakeErryday New Egg

Apr 18, 2015
    No problem just sharing what I found with the community. That's the same color that our ducklings beak was and he could barely walk at one point. So we separated him from the rest mixed his food real good with Brewers yeast and gave him the other supplements three times a day and he was walking again in a day and able to be put back in with the others. We just continued to give him Brewers yeast and supplements till he was full grown. I would personally preemptively give your duckling Brewers yeast because their health can decline fast if not supplemented as soon as symptoms occur; such as if he appears to be less active than the others and sitting or stumbling.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  10. lilybug524

lilybug524 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    He actually seems more active then the other one. They are going to be 3 wks tomorrow. He is turning out darker skinned then the other one. I will start those supps asap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by