Duckling died. Why. Attached graphic picture

Pics

Katie Rossi

Songster
5 Years
Jun 21, 2017
I don't know why she died... Makes me really sad, I thought I was going to meet her today. Can someone give me some insight. I'm scared I did something. Can't stop crying.

Attachments

• 1621224028097340565161239192244.jpg
    1621224028097340565161239192244.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 47
I'm very sorry for your loss and wish you better luck next time. Were there more eggs in the incubator so you can hope for some successful hatches? Did this duckling do both an internal and external hatch on its own? How long after external pip did it zip and hatch? Did it do all that on its own, or did you help it at all? If nothing else, this can be a learning experience and you will have successful hatches in the future. Try not to be too discouraged. :hugs

I'm very sorry for your loss and wish you better luck next time. Were there more eggs in the incubator so you can hope for some successful hatches? Did this duckling do both an internal and external hatch on its own? How long after external pip did it zip and hatch? Did it do all that on its own, or did you help it at all? If nothing else, this can be a learning experience and you will have successful hatches in the future. Try not to be too discouraged. :hugs
I had 2 successful hatches 3 days ago. Both girls, Stella and Louise. I did an eggtopsy to see what happened with this little one. The photo is after I got the baby out of the shell when then wasn't any movement.

Your duckling didn't absorb the yolk.

How have you been maintaining your incubator?
Do you use a hygrometer to measure temperature and humidity?
What was your settings for lockdown?
I had no idea the yolk was so big. Also, given the fact that it seemed so close to hatching, chirping and everything, I guess I always assumed more of the yolk would have been absorbed. I don't think I'm making any sense. Also, my incubator had no manual settings. I guess it was automatic.

So sorry she didn't make it. In order to find out what happened we need more information. First of all had she pipped or did you make an air hole?
She only pipped internal and I did not do an airhole. She was so wiggly and seemed to take up most of the air pocket. I was fearful to do it. Donna is was like she would externally pip any second.😢

She only pipped internal and I did not do an airhole. She was so wiggly and seemed to take up most of the air pocket. I was fearful to do it. Donna is was like she would externally pip any second.😢
What were you keeping your humidity level at?

Do you know that you cannot trust the built-in thermometers or humidity gauges that come installed in incubators?

Please buy a separate humidity gauge and salt test it before you set eggs again.
Please buy at least one more thermometer to calibrate before you set eggs again.

What were you keeping your humidity level at?

Do you know that you cannot trust the built-in thermometers or humidity gauges that come installed in incubators?

Please buy a separate humidity gauge and salt test it before you set eggs again.
Please buy at least one more thermometer to calibrate before you set eggs again.
I don't plan on attempting this again, yes rewarding but nerve-wracking and scary. Now that I've seen so many posts about ducklings dropping dead days after hatching, I am worried the 2 sweeties I have will just drop dead 😢. How I got here, I took on the mother, who was unwanted and needed a safe place, along with her eggs. When she arrived, it was like her eggs didn't exist. I gave it a go for a day and a half and nothing changed. I made a DIY incubator. Also, 8 eggs in the beginning and only 3 were viable.
Thanks you

Back
Top Bottom