Duckling Died...

ducklover15

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
South-Eastern Michigan, USA
I woke up at 7 this morning to really loud peeping coming from the room where I keep the brooder. My mom was just checking on the ducklings and making sure they had food and water. She noticed that the newest duckling was laying around and was super weak. We could pick it up and it was completely limp, but it was still quite a peeper. We put it by the stuffy near the warmest spot in the brooder and hoped it would make it. When I got back up this morning at 9, the duckling was dead in the middle of the brooder...it was so sad.

I have no idea what happened to it. It was only two or three days old and the other ducklings are very healthy and are little monsters. I'm kind of worried that something might happen to them though... Are there are vitamins I can give them to keep their strength up? I'm hoping to sell them soon and I want to make sure I'm selling strong ducklings!

Sometimes they just aren't strong enough to survive. Keep an eye on the others to make sure they are doing well, but it sounds to me like the duckling was too weak to make it. It's sad, but it happens, no matter how hard we try to keep them healthy and happy.

You can give the ducklings electrolytes is you want. Just keep an eye on them.

Sometimes there is just an internal problem that takes a day or so to catch them. It's sad, but sometimes they just don't make it. You don't always know why day old ducklings go downhill so fast. If it is just the one, I wouldn't worry.

I've herd that this is just a part of having babies... I personally haven't lost any to sudden problems yet, but I did accidentally smush a chick with a waterer...
sad.png
I was sure that everyone was out of the way... I was wrong. I felt so awful.
Even though it wasn't sick, I changed the bedding and cleaned all the feeders and waterers. It made me feel a little better. Maybe that would help you ease your mind about loosing one in there.
Sorry about your loss. I am sure the rest of your little guys will be healthy.
smile.png
Good luck.

Quote:
I did this same thing to a duckling. I was SURE everyone was out of the way when I refreshed there water for the night. The next morning when I lifted the waterer, there was a soaking wet gasping for breath duckling underneath. I though he was a goner. He was limp and gasping.

I popped him in the bator and he survived after 8 hrs under the waterer. I felt so horrible.

Aw that is so sad!

We lost another one this morning. Mamma hatched out two really small and 'weaker' ducklings and one of them didn't survive the night. I took in the other one with a buddy and put them in the brooder. I hope a good couple days of heat and a good supply of food and water will help it regain its strength!

Back
Top Bottom