1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling diseases

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TroyerGal, Mar 18, 2016.

1. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

hello... I bought some ducklings from TSC a week ago. I am having chick health issues going on... the chicks are in the same brooder the ducks WERE in, and i left a little of the ducks bedding in the bottom of the brooder (i know, dumb idea) to aid the natural decomposition of the bedding. i only left a tiny bit with like 2ish inches of fresh on top. i have not measured . do you think some duckling diseases could have transmitted to the chicks? is that possible?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It is possible, not necessarily what's going on.

What is the health issue?

3. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

It seemed to just be failure to thrive... which is fairly common in big batches like mine (29 chicks). we have already lost 3 since tuesday[​IMG]so i was just wondering what caused it... that's all! thank you[​IMG]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    People often have ducklings and chicks together for the first week or so (ducklings grow quickly so they also often end up separating them due to size difference), and I don't hear much about passing illnesses. I hope you can determine the cause.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by